USA vs. Panama
Jan. 27, 2019
State Farm Stadium; Glendale, Ariz.
Live Broadcast: 8 p.m. ET; ESPN2, UniMás and UDN
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Panama: 1-Zack Steffen, 2-Nick Lima, 3-Aaron Long (capt.), 4-Michael Bradley, 5-Daniel Lovitz, 7-Corey Baird, 8-Djordje Mihailovic, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 10-Cristian Roldan, 11-Jeremy Ebobisse, 25-Walker Zimmerman
Substitutes: 12-Sean Johnson, 6-Wil Trapp, 13-Reggie Cannon, 14-Paul Arriola, 16-Russell Canouse, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 18-Jonathan Lewis, 21-Christian Ramirez, 23-Auston Trusty
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Michael Bradley (143), Gyasi Zardes (41), Zack Steffen (7), Cristian Roldan (6), Walker Zimmerman (5), Aaron Long (3), Corey Baird (1), Jeremy Ebobisse (1), Nick Lima (1), Daniel Lovitz (1), Djordje Mihailovic (1)
- For just the second time in the modern era, five starters will make their MNT debuts: defenders Nick Lima and Daniel Lovitz, along with midfielders Corey Baird, Jeremy Ebobisse and Djordje Mihailovic. The first instance occurred on Sept. 3, 1992, when future World Cup players Cobi Jones, Joe-Max Moore, Brad Friedel, Mike Burns and Mike Lapper started in the USA’s 2-0 win at Canada in St. Johns.
- Three other players made their MNT debuts in January Camp friendlies: Gyasi Zardes (Jan. 28, 2015 at Chile), Walker Zimmerman (Feb. 3, 2017 vs. Jamaica), Zack Steffen (Jan. 28, 2018 vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina).
- Center back Aaron Long captains the side for the first time tonight.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman partner in central defense for the second-straight match. The duo went the full 90 minutes in the 1-0 defeat to Italy on Nov. 20, 2018 in Genk, Belgium.
- In his first match as U.S. MNT head coach, Gregg Berhalter lines up a Starting XI with an average age of 25 years, 11 days.
- U.S. Soccer’s 2018 Male Player of the Year, goalkeeper Zack Steffen returns between the sticks after last appearing against Colombia on Oct. 11, 2018.
- Coming off a season where he scored a career-high 19 MLS Regular Season goals, Gyasi Zardes is joined by Cristian Roldan in making their first appearances since the 1-0 win against Mexico on Sept. 11, 2018 in Nashville.
- Michael Bradley has tallied before at State Farm Stadium, scoring in a 2-2 draw against Mexico on April 2, 2014. He’s also scored twice against Panama, putting home an “olimpico” off a corner kick in a 2-0 win on Feb. 8, 2015 in Carson, Calif., before tallying the equalizer in a 1-1 draw with Los Canaleros during the Gold Cup group stage on July 13, 2015 in Kansas City, Kan.
- The 11 players represent 10 different MLS clubs: Steffen and Zardes (Columbus Crew SC), Baird (Real Salt Lake), Bradley (Toronto FC), Ebobisse (Portland Timbers) Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), Long (New York Red Bulls), Lovitz (Montreal Impact), Mihailovic (Chicago Fire), Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC), Zimmerman (LAFC).
- Along with making his international debut, Daniel Lovitz also becomes the first member of the Montreal Impact to earn a cap for the MNT.
- Jeremy Ebobisse becomes the sixth player from the USA squad at the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup to earn a cap with the MNT. The others: Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer-Brown and Josh Sargent.
- With the MNT dressing 20 players, Marky Delgado, Mark McKenzie and Keegan Rosenberry are scratches from tonight’s squad. Teams are allowed to make six substitutions.
- Prior to kick off the teams will observe a moment of silence and USA players will wear black armbands tonight to honor the life and legacy of coaching legend and National Soccer Hall of Fame member, Sigi Schmid.
- Since first meeting in 1993, the MNT holds a 12-1-6 all-time advantage against Panama.
- The MNT is 2-1-1 all-time at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. Most recently, the USA fell 1-0 to Colombia in the Copa America Centenario Third Place Match on June 25, 2016.