USMNT vs. Panama
2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Semifinal
July 12, 2023
Snapdragon Stadium; San Diego, Calif.
Pre-Game Coverage: 7 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN, Fútbol de Primera Radio
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; U.S. Soccer on Facebook, The U.S. Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Panama: 1-Matt Turner (capt.), 3-Aaron Long, 5-Bryan Reynolds, 6-Gianluca Busio, 8-James Sands, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Cade Cowell, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Djordje Mihailovic, 15-DeJuan Jones, 19-Brandon Vazquez
Substitutes: 18-Sean Johnson, 23-Gaga Slonina, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 4-Matt Miazga, 10-Cristian Roldan, 13-Jordan Morris, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Jalen Neal, 21-John Tolkin, 22-Julian Gressel, 24-Jackson Yueill
Not Dressed: 16-Aidan Morris
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Aaron Long (35), Matt Turner (32), Miles Robinson (25), Jesús Ferreira (23), Gianluca Busio (13), James Sands (13), Djordje Mihailovic (11), Cade Cowell (8), Brandon Vazquez (8), Bryan Reynolds (7), DeJuan Jones (6)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Gold Cup Cap Numbers (including this match): James Sands (11), Gianluca Busio (10), Matt Turner (10), Miles Robinson (9), Aaron Long (8), Djordje Mihailovic (7), Cade Cowell (5), Jesús Ferreira (5), Brandon Vazquez (5), DeJuan Jones (4), Bryan Reynolds (4)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in Official Competition (including this match): Matt Turner (27), Miles Robinson (22), Aaron Long (15) Jesús Ferreira (14), Gianluca Busio (13), James Sands (12), Djordje Mihailovic (7), Cade Cowell (5), Bryan Reynolds (5), Brandon Vazquez (5), DeJuan Jones (4)
- With an average age of 24 years, 202 days, tonight’s lineup is the seventh youngest the USMNT has utilized in a knockout round match. The team’s 10 youngest knockout round lineups have all been deployed since 2021.
|Youngest USMNT Lineups in Knockout Round Matches|
|June 3, 2021||23 years, 215 days||1-0 W vs. Honduras||Nations League Semifinal|
|July 25, 2021||23 years, 280 days||1-0 W vs. Jamaica||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
|July 29, 2021||23 years, 284 days||1-0 W vs. Qatar||Gold Cup Semifinal|
|June 18, 2023||23 years, 314 days||2-0 W vs. Canada||Nations League Final|
|June 15, 2023||23 years, 327 days||3-0 W vs. Mexico||Nations League Semifinal|
|July 9, 2023||24 years, 187 days||2-2 D (3-2 PK) vs. Canada||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
|July 12, 2023||24 years, 202 days||vs. Panama||Gold Cup Semifinal|
|June 6, 2021||24 years, 207 days||3-2 W (AET) vs. Mexico||Nations League Final|
|Aug. 1, 2021||24 years, 236 days||1-0 W (AET) vs. Mexico||Gold Cup Final|
|Dec. 3, 2022||25 years, 86 days||1-3 L vs. Netherlands||World Cup Round of 16|
- Seven starters are age 24 or younger: Djordje Mihailovic and Brandon Vazquez (24); James Sands (23); Jesús Ferreira and Bryan Reynolds (22); Gianluca Busio (21); Cade Cowell (19).
- The lineup also averages 16 caps and 11 appearances in official competition.
- USMNT head coach B.J. Callaghan makes three changes from the XI that started against Canada on Wednesday, inserting defender Aaron Long and forwards Cade Cowell and Brandon Vazquez.
- After becoming the first USMNT player to record three goals as a substitute in the Gold Cup, Brandon Vazquez earns his first start of the tournament tonight in his hometown of San Diego.
- Making his second start of the competition along with Aaron Long (June 24 vs. Trinidad and Tobago), Cade Cowell (June 28 vs. St. Kitts and Nevis) becomes the fourth youngest player to start a Gold Cup Knockout Round match for the USMNT.
|Youngest USMNT Players to Start in Gold Cup Knockout Round|
|Juan Agudelo||18 years, 211 days||June 22, 2011 vs. Panama||Semifinal|
|Gianluca Busio||19 years, 58 days||July 25, 2021 vs. Jamaica||Quarterfinal|
|George Bello||19 years, 191 days||Aug. 1, 2021 vs. Mexico||Final|
|Cade Cowell||19 years, 271 days||July 12, 2023 vs. Panama||Semifinal|
|Jalen Neal||19 years, 319 days||July 9, 2023 vs. Canada||Quarterfinal|
- Jesús Ferreira and James Sands are the only two players to start all five matches at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- Sands becomes the sixth player to appear in 11 consecutive Gold Cup matches for the USMNT. A substitute in his Gold Cup debut against Haiti on July 11, 2021, the midfielder has started each of his last 10 Gold Cup appearances.
Consecutive GC Caps/
Most Consecutive Starts
|Landon Donovan||22 / 10||2002-2007|
|Eric Wynalda||21 / 21||1991-2000|
|Cobi Jones||18 / 12||1993-2002|
|Landon Donovan||12 / 7||2011-2013|
|Gyasi Zardes||12 / 2||2019-2021|
|Frankie Hejduk||11 / 11||2002-2005|
|James Sands||11 / 10||2021-2023|
|Chris Henderson||10 / 10||1991-1993|
|Kasey Keller||10 / 10||2002-2003|
|Tony Meola||10 / 10||1991-1993|
|Clarence Goodson||10 / 9||2009-2013|
- Captaining the team for the fourth time tonight, goalkeeper Matt Turner makes his 10th Gold Cup appearance, tying Tony Meola for third all-time among USMNT goalkeepers in the confederation championship.
- Turner also makes his eighth appearance in a knockout round match, moving past Meola for third among USMNT goalkeepers. The 29-year-old is 5-1-1 in knockout round contests, recording five clean sheets along the way.
|USMNT Gold Cup Goalkeeper Caps||USMNT Knockout Round Goalkeeper Caps|
|Player||GP (SO)||W-L-D||Player||GP (SO)||W-L-D|
|Kasey Keller||23 (14)||17-3-3||Kasey Keller||16 (7)||9-5-2|
|Tim Howard||13 (8)||11-2-0||Tim Howard||12 (4)||7-5-0|
|Tony Meola||10 (6)||8-1-1||Matt Turner||8 (5)||5-1-1|
|Matt Turner||10 (6)||7-0-2||Tony Meola||7 (3)||3-3-1|
|Brad Guzan||8 (2)||4-1-3||Brad Friedel||6 (3)||2-2-2|
|4 with||5 caps||-||Brad Guzan||6 (1)||2-3-1|
- Aaron Long and Miles Robinson pair in central defense for the second time tonight. The duo previously worked together in the 7-0 win against Trinidad and Tobago on Jan. 31, 2021 in Orlando.
- Six players have featured against Panama previously: Aaron Long and Djordje Mihailovic (2 GP); Gianluca Busio, Jesús Ferreira, Miles Robinson and Matt Turner (1 GP).
- Djordje Mihailovic made his USMNT and scored his first international goal in the 3-0 win against Panama on Jan. 27, 2019 in Glendale, Ariz. Jesús Ferreira scored his first goal in official competition against Los Canaleros, tallying in the 27th minute of the 5-1 World Cup Qualifying win on March 27, 2022 in Orlando.
- Five starters have previous semifinal experience. Miles Robinson and Matt Turner both appeared in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Semifinal against Qatar and 2023 Concacaf Nations League Semifinal against Canada. Gianluca Busio and James Sands also appeared in the 2021 semifinal against Qatar, while Aaron Long featured in the 2019 Gold Cup Semifinal against Jamaica.
- Should he come off the bench tonight, 19-year-old Jalen Neal (6 caps) would tie Mike Windischmann for most USMNT appearances by a teenage center back at seven.
- Five substitutions are allowed in three different moments during regulation. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment. Should the match be tied at the end of 90 minutes, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played and both teams will be allowed another substitution. If the teams are tied at the end of extra time, the match will be decided by penalty kicks.
- The USMNT has gone to shootouts seven times in official competition, advancing on five occasions.
|USMNT Shootout Record in Official Competition|
|July 7, 1991||Honduras||0-0 D (4-3 W)||Gold Cup Final|
|July 17, 1995||Mexico||0-0 D (4-1 W)||Copa America Quarterfinal|
|Feb. 19, 2000||Colombia||2-2 D (1-2 L)||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
|Jan. 30, 2002||Canada||0-0 D (4-2 W)||Gold Cup Semifinal|
|July 24, 2005||Panama||0-0 D (3-1 W)||Gold Cup Final|
|July 25, 2015||Panama||1-1 D (2-3 L)||Gold Cup Third Place Match|
|July 9, 2022||Canada||2-2 D (3-2 W)||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
- Video assistant referee will be used for all matches in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- This is the 26th all-time meeting between the USA and Panama. The USMNT holds a 17-2-6 overall advantage in the series. The team also has a 13-2-6 edge in official competition and is 6-1-4 in Gold Cup play.
- The USMNT is 29-8-6 all-time in the Gold Cup knockout round and 11-3-1 in Gold Cup semifinal matches.
- The referee for tonight’s match is Walter López of Guatemala. The USMNT is 3-0-0 in matches officiated by Mr. López:
- March 24, 2017: 6-0 W vs. Honduras (2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying)
- July 26, 2017: 2-1 W vs. Jamaica (2017 Concacaf Gold Cup Final)
- Nov. 12, 2021: 2-0 W vs. Mexico (2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying)