Following a whirlwind year that saw her selected No. 1 overall in the NWSL Draft and play at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, Alyssa Thompson has been nominated to be the 2023 Chipotle Young Female Player of the Year.
The criteria to be eligible for the 2023 Chipotle U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year is any player who has participated in a training camp with any of the USA’s Women’s Youth National Teams during the 2023 calendar year. Players can win the U.S. Soccer Young Player of the Year Award only once.
Fans once again have the opportunity to vote for all U.S. Soccer end of year awards on ussoccer.com and at the links below. The fan vote will account for 15 percent of the overall vote tally, with the rest coming from National Team players, coaches, media, and other constituents.
Making the Case for Alyssa Thompson as the 2023 Chipotle Young Female Player of the Year:
- After earning her first caps for the U.S. Women’s National Team late in 2022, Thompson kicked off the year by going No. 1 overall in the 2023 NWSL Draft to Angel City FC. At 18-years-old, Thompson became the youngest draft pick in league history and the first to be drafted straight out of high school.
- In February, she was called into camp with the Under-23 WYNT and scored in both games as the U.S. played two matches in France against the French U-23s.
- Thompson was added to the USA roster prior to the April 11 match in St. Louis following a major injury to Mallory Swanson. Thompson went on to start that match and in just her third cap at the age of 18, became the youngest player to start a game for the USWNT since 2016.
- A dynamic winger with tremendous speed on one-on-one abilities, Thompson earned a spot on the roster for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, her first World Cup roster at the senior level. Thompson became just the fourth teenager and the second-youngest player ever to represent the USA at the Women’s World Cup and made her lone appearance of the tournament against Vietnam at 18 years, 7 months and 15 days of age.
- Thompson made two starts and had seven total appearances for the senior Women’s National Team in 2023 and tallied her first international assist in the USA’s October 29 win over Colombia.
WATCH: THOMPSON OFF TO THE RACES FOR ACFC
- She appeared in 20 regular season matches during her rookie NWSL season with Angel City FC, making 13 starts and scoring four goals and two assists. Thompson helped the club reach the playoffs for the first time and was a finalist for NWSL Rookie of the Year.
This is Thompson’s second nomination for Young Female Player of the Year after also earning consideration in 2022.