After shining in the midfield throughout the U.S. Under-20 Men’s Youth National Team cycle, helping the Men’s Olympic Team get off to a strong start and putting together his most productive year yet at the club level, 20-year-old midfielder Jack McGlynn has been named a finalist for 2023 Chipotle U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year.
Fans have the opportunity to vote on select U.S. Soccer End of Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Nominees for all awards are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff. Voting for the awards starts Monday, Dec. 11 and closes on Monday, Dec. 18. The winners will be announced in the weeks that follow.
Let’s take a look at some of McGlynn’s highlights from 2023:
- Tied for the team lead with 21 appearances during the U-20 MYNT cycle, playing an important role as a distributor in the middle of the park.
- Played in all five games for the USA during its quarterfinal run at the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup, starting four as the U.S. became the only nation to reach the final eight of the last four U-20 World Cups.
- The U.S. finished fifth overall and was the only team to not allow a goal in the competition’s group stage, finishing pool play with three wins for the first time in 17 U-20 WC appearances.
- Appeared in all four matches for the U.S. Men’s Olympic Team this October and November as it kicked off preparations for Paris 2024.
- Added an assist on the final goal in the USA’s 4-1 victory vs. Japan on Oct. 17 in Phoenix.
- After a breakout 2022 with the Philadelphia Union, installed himself as a stalwart with one of the league’s top teams, making 44 appearances across all competitions while adding three goals and four assists.
- Played in a career-high 27 MLS regular season matches, helping Philly reach the MLS Cup Playoffs for the sixth-straight season.
- Teed up the game-winning goal in the second game of the first round series vs. New England Revolution.
- Helped the Union reach the Concacaf Champions League Semifinals, starting all six games and adding a key assist in the quarters vs. Atlas.
- Played an important role for the Union during its third-place finish at the inaugural Leagues Cup, scoring in the group stage vs. Queretaro and logging an assist in the third-place game vs. Monterrey.