Following a year in which she showed her consistent class and quality while also growing into an expanded leadership role for both club and country, midfielder Lindsey Horan has been nominated to be the 2023 U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year.
READ MORE: 2023 Female Player of the Year Nominees
Fans once again have the opportunity to vote for all U.S. Soccer end of year awards on ussoccer.com and at the links below. The fan vote will account for 15 percent of the overall vote tally, with the rest coming from National Team players, coaches, media, and other constituents.
Making the Case for Lindsey Horan as U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year:
- Horan led the USA with 1,478 minutes played, logging the second-most in any year of her U.S. Women’s National Team career, while also leading the squad in starts (17) and captaining the team in 10 of its 18 matches.
- Horan tied for second on the team in scoring with five goals and added one assist to push her career totals to 31 goals and 34 assists, becoming the 16th player in USWNT history with 30+ international goals and 30+ assists.
- An integral part of the U.S. midfield and attack, Horan led the team with 51 shots and 36 chances created, nearly twice as many chances as any other player on the team in 2023.
- Horan captained the USA in the 2023 World Cup, playing all but seven minutes, and was one of the USA’s best players, scoring in the opening game against Vietnam and on a brilliant header vs. the Netherlands.
WATCH: HORAN HEROICS AGAINST THE NETHERLANDS
- At the club level, Horan helped Olympique Lyon complete the double in the spring of 2023, winning the league title and French Cup while scoring seven goals in 25 games with four assists across all competitions.
WATCH: LINDSEY LIFTS LYON
- After finalizing her permanent move to Olympique Lyon in the off-season, Horan is off to a strong start with Lyon in the 2023-2024 European season. The 29-year-old has five goals in 11 appearances across all competitions, including a hat-trick, her first for club or country since 2020, in Olympique Lyon’s 6-0 win over Saint-Etienne on October 14.
This is Horan’s fourth consecutive nomination for U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year and her sixth overall. She won Female Player of the Year honors in 2021 and was named the Young Female Player of the Year in 2013.