Development Academy Playoffs: Day 5
The U-15/16 teams end their 2010-11 Development Academy Playoffs matches today and eight teams will secure their spot at the 2011 Finals Week in Milwaukee, Wis.
June 28, 2011
© DON FERIA/U.S. Soccer
U.S. Soccer Development Academy
2010-11 Playoffs & Showcase
Pizza Hut Park; Frisco, Texas
June 28, 2011
IT’S THE U-15/16S TURN: The U-15/16 teams end their 2010-11 Development Academy Playoffs matches today and eight teams will secure their spot at the 2011 Finals Week in Milwaukee, Wis. There are a number of tight groups as players will fight for their berth at either 9 a.m. CT or 11 a.m. CT at Pizza Hut Park.
SCENARIOS: The scenarios are set for the U-15/16 groups to advance to Finals Week. For a complete list of the scenarios for advancement, visit ussoccer.com.
- In Group 1, Seattle Sounders FC is in the driver’s seat and will advance with a win, draw and potentially even a loss.
- In Group 2, Dallas Texans hold their own fate as a win will see them advance. If they lose or draw, the group title is up for grabs.
- Group 3 looks promising for LA Galaxy as a win or a draw will put them through.
- Group 4 is up for grabs as Solar Chelsea SC and Real So Cal both have four points and FC DELCO trails with three.
- The winner of Group 5 is undecided as Texas Rush AJ Auxerre currently has the lead with four points, with North Carolina Fusion and New England Revolution tied with three.
- The winner of the Real Salt Lake AZ and FC Westchester game will advance from Group 6, with Real Salt Lake AZ holding the advantage in a draw.
- Group 7 has three teams still in contention in PA Classics, North Meck SC and Chicago Fire, with PA Classics currently in first place.
- Group 8 will be decided with the winner of the St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri and CASL Chelsea FC Academy game, with a draw moving to tiebreakers.
HEADED TO MILWAUKEE: The U-17/18 group finished their Playoff games on Sunday, with eight teams clinching a spot at Finals Week by winning their respective group. For a complete recap of all the games and groups, visit ussoccer.com.
- Group 1: Pateadores advanced win a 3-1 win over Empire United and the full nine points.
- Group 2: The group was up for grabs in the New York Red Bulls and Real Salt Lake AZ game, with the Red Bulls going through with a 3-0 victory.
- Group 3: Even with yesterday’s loss, Players Development Academy advanced with their group-high six points.
- Group 4: In a close race, Dallas Texans took the group with a 4-1 win against Charlotte Soccer Academy and a plus-7 goal differential.
- Group 5: FC Dallas defeated Real Colorado 3-1 to win the group.
- Group 6: The group was up for grabs in the Seattle Sounders FC and Baltimore Bays Chelsea game, and Baltimore advanced with the 2-0 win.
- Group 7: Weston FC advanced with a 3-1 win over Derby County Wolves and a greater goal differential than Chivas USA.
- Group 8: The group was determined by the Albertson SC and CASL Chelsea FC Academy game, with CASL Chelsea winning 2-0.
A DIFFERENT PATH: Athletes at the 2010-11 Development Academy Showcase take advantage of the opportunity to learn from former professional players about the different paths they took to make it to the highest level. Watch how former U.S. national team players, including Claudio Reyna, Ante Razov and Richie Williams offer advice to current players at ussoccer.com.
SHOWCASE SHOWDOWNS: Along with the battles for Finals Week, Academy clubs that didn’t qualify for the postseason will still get the chance to play competitive matches this weekend in the form of a round-robin style tournament. With two days of matches in the book, games will continue today where teams will continue to test themselves against rarely-played opponents.
U.S. NATIONAL TEAM SCOUTS IN ATTENDANCE: Nearly 30 U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors and scouts will be watching games throughout the weekend. They will take this opportunity to look at players from all around the country play in competitive matches during the next five days, while Technical Advisors will review and discuss the match with coaches immediately following their games.
DON’T SKIP A BEAT: U.S. Soccer has teamed up with Hi-Pod to record all 2010-11 Development Academy Playoff and Showcase games. Be sure to visit ussoccer.com for all the details on format options and purchasing information.
SOCIAL BUTTERFLY: The U.S. Soccer Development Academy is all over the Internet. Follow the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, including all the news and updates from Pizza Hut Park on U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy Facebook page, on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt and check out photos and updates from throughout the day on the YNT Blog.