U.S. Men's National Team Unveils Home Uniform
The U.S. Men's National Team has unveiled its new Nike home uniform, which the team will wear during the Send-Off Series in May and at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
April 29, 2010
© U.S. Soccer
- Nike White Jersey with Grey Sash and Obsidian Blue Trim Echoes Uniform Worn by 1950 U.S. World Cup Team
- Most Environmentally-Friendly and Technologically-Advanced Uniform Ever Produced
Fans Can Order Replica Jerseys on ussoccerstore.com Now; Shipping Begins on May 1
CHICAGO (April 29, 2010) – The U.S. Men's National Team has unveiled its new Nike home uniform, which the team will wear during the Send-Off Series in May and at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
The new home jersey, which will debut when the USA takes on the Czech Republic in East Hartford, Conn. on May 25, is white with a tonal grey sash across the front of the right shoulder to the left side, and includes an obsidian blue round-neck collar.
Designed by Nike with the national culture and identity of the U.S. in mind, the jersey echoes the uniform worn by the U.S. Men’s National Team during the 1950 FIFA World Cup in which they defeated England 1-0 in one of the biggest upsets in the history of soccer.
The replica jerseys are available to fans now at ussoccerstore.com and will begin to ship on May 1. The jersey is entirely constructed with fabric recycled polyester from plastic bottles and features improved Nike Dri-FIT fabric, now 13 percent lighter than previous Nike kits, which helps to quickly evaporate moisture and keep players dry. The U.S. Soccer crest is embroidered over the heart.
All U.S. Soccer SC members have the opportunity to win a home jersey signed by head coach Bob Bradley. U.S. Soccer SC members who purchase a new home jersey on ussoccerstore.com between 9 a.m. ET on Thursday, April 29 and 9 p.m. ET on Friday, April 30 using their U.S. Soccer SC member ID as the coupon code to redeem ten percent off the purchase will be automatically entered to win a second home jersey signed by head coach Bob Bradley.
Fans who are not yet members of U.S. Soccer SC can purchase a U.S. Soccer SC membership and home jersey in the same transaction on ussoccerstore.com and will receive ten percent off their jersey purchase. These fans who make this purchase between 9 a.m. ET on Thursday, April 29 and 9 p.m. ET on Friday, April 30 will also be automatically entered to win a second jersey signed by head coach Bob Bradley. Please view the rules and regulations found on ussocer.com.
In addition to the historic background, the authentic jersey also includes a number of unique modern elements. On the back of the jersey’s neck is a graphic that reads ‘USA’, while inside the neck is a graphic of a coiled rattlesnake. Inside the jersey, on the back of the gold-outlined U.S. Soccer crest over the heart, there is a similar coiled rattlesnake, accompanied by ‘DTOM’, which stands for ‘Don’t Tread on Me’, a rallying cry adopted by the most passionate U.S. supporters.
U.S. Men’s National Team players will also be wearing the most environmentally-friendly and technologically-advanced kit ever produced. In an important step to make all Nike products more sustainable, the U.S. uniform – along with all of Nike’s national team kits – was made entirely from recycled polyester, with each jersey produced with yarn made from up to eight recycled plastic bottles.
The innovative uniform is designed to keep the players drier, cooler and more comfortable to allow them to maintain an optimum body temperature and perform at their best on the field. With improved Nike Dri-Fit fabric, which is 13 percent lighter than before, players can stay drier by drawing sweat to the outside of the garment where it evaporates. There are also ventilation zones on each side of the jersey – up to 200 tiny laser cut holes – so air can pass across a player’s whole torso to keep him cooler. There are also additional ventilation zones on the kit’s shorts below the waistband and near the space of the spine, areas that are prone to high sweat levels.
U.S. MNT Authentic Nike Home Jersey Features
• White base color with an obsidian blue round-neck and a tonal grey sash across the front
• Gold-outlined U.S. Soccer crest over the left chest
• The phrase “USA” across the back of the neck
• Graphic of a coiled rattlesnake inside the neck
• “Don’t Tread on Me” graphic on the inside the jersey, on the back of the U.S. Soccer crest
• Numbers on the back are inspired by numerals used throughout college and professional sports in the U.S.
Comfort and Fit
• Improved Dri-FIT that is 13 percent lighter than past designs to keep players drier, cooler and more comfortable
• Up to 200 tiny laser cut holes create ventilation zones on each side of the jersey and on waistband and near base of spine of shorts help to enhance breathability
• Fabric used to increase air flow by up to seven percent compared to previous kits
• Air can now pass across a player's whole torso, keeping him cooler
• Jersey’s double knit structure gives it a sleeker appearance, 10 percent more stretch and also boasts a new dynamic fit cut to follow natural contours of the body to allow for maximum airflow and movement
• Most environmentally-friendly jerseys ever are made entirely from recycled polyester
• Each jersey is produced from up to eight recycled plastic bottles
• Nike fabric suppliers sourced discarded plastic bottles from Japanese and Taiwanese landfill sites and then melted them down to produce new yarn that was ultimately converted to fabric for the jerseys
• The yarn-making process saves raw materials and reduces energy consumption by up to 30 percent compared to manufacturing virgin polyester
• In creating jerseys for all of their national teams, Nike prevented nearly 13 million plastic bottles from going into landfill sites.
• If the recycled bottles used to make the jerseys were laid end-to-end, they would cover more than 1864 miles (which is more than the entire coastline of South Africa)