Carolina RailHawks (NASL) 5, Charlotte Independence (USL) 0 (a.e.t.)
Disaster struck for the Independence right before the half-hour mark as a red card was shown to Jun Davidson for a dangerous play involving RailHawks captain Nazmi Albadawi, forcing Charlotte to 10 men for the remainder of the match. Despite an hour-long man advantage, the RailHawks couldn’t capitalize and the match headed to extra time. Just two minutes into the extra period, the floodgates broke open as Billy Schuler found the back of the net in the 92nd minute. Goals from Albadawi, Brian Shriver and Jonathan Orlando followed, before Schuler capped the scoring in the 115th minute. Carolina’s five extra time goals set a Modern Era (1995-present) record for most extra time goals by one team. With the win, Carolina will host the New England Revolution in Fourth Round play on June 15.
Charlotte Independence (USL) at Carolina RailHawks FC (NASL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. ET; WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, N.C.
Charlotte Independence Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Second appearance (Round of 16: 2015)
Carolina RailHawks Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Eighth appearance (Semifinal: 2007)
- The game is a re-match of when the two sides met at this stage in 2015. In that game, Charlotte used an 81st minute strike from Ryan Finley to earn a 1-0 upset.
- The Independence advanced to the Third Round thanks to goals from Chris Hellman and Jorge Herrera in a 2-0 defeat of the Charlotte Eagles on May 18.
- The Charlotte Independence make their second U.S. Open Cup appearance after their Round of 16 run won the club the $10,000 prize as the first advancing Division III team in the 2015 tournament.
- On that run, the Independence downed Upward Stars 4-1 (second round), Carolina RailHawks 1-0 (third round) and New England Revolution 1-0 (fourth round), before succumbing 3-1 to the Chicago Fire in the Round of 16.
- The Carolina RailHawks enter the match with a 4-3-1 record (13 pts.), which places them fifth in the NASL’s Spring Season table. Charlotte has compiled a 5-3-2 record (17 pts.), putting them fifth in the USL’s Eastern Conference.
- The winner will host the New England Revolution in the Fourth Round on June 15.