Guzan continues to demonstrate that he is yet another in the long lineage of quality U.S. goalkeepers, proving his ability to rise to the occasion in big matches. His strong work ethic and infectious positive attitude make him an important squad member for both club and country, in addition to his clear quality in goal. Guzan followed in the footsteps of U.S. goalkeepers before him by making the jump abroad to sign with Aston Villa of the English Premier League, where he has been taking advantage of the opportunities when called upon to stand in for long-time EPL veteran Brad Friedel.
- Served as a backup at the 2010 FIFA World Cup
- Wore the captain’s armband and presided over the USA’s 1-0 victory against South Africa in the 2010 Nelson Mandela Challenge
- Recorded a shutout in the 3-0 victory against Egypt that helped provide the U.S. the margin needed to advance to the semifinals of the 2009 Confederations Cup
- Posted three shutouts and a 3-1-1 record in 2010 World Cup qualifying
- Saved four penalties in one match on Oct. 27, 2009, for Aston Villa, one in regulation time and three more in a penalty shoot-out win against Sunderland in the Round of 16 of the League Cup
- The 2007 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year and also a member of the year’s MLS Best XI, he was in the nets for the majority of Chivas’ Western Conference winning season