- Has been part of the U.S. youth program from U-14s.
- Along with Kellyn Acosta, was a member of the USA’s 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup squad, though he did not appear in a match.
- Played for FC DELCO’s Development Academy, where he earned East Conference Player of the Year in the U-16 age group during the 2011-12 Academy season. In 2012, Steffen led the Philadelphia Union’s U-17 team to a Cup championship over Toronto FC, highlighted by two penalty kick saves in the shootout of the title game.
- Spent two seasons at the University of Maryland, leading the Terrapins to a runner-up performance at the 2013 NCAA College Cup as a freshman. That season, he played every minute in goal and made 76 saves, earning NCAA Championship Most Valuable Defensive Player and ACC All-Freshman Team honors. In 2014, Steffen posted a 13-6-3 record and nine shutouts, once again playing every minute during Maryland’s 22-game season.
- Has 11 caps with the U-20 MNT, including starting five of the six matches at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Jamaica. He posted four straight shutouts to close out the tournament and had a clutch penalty kick save in the final match against El Salvador.
- Signed with German Bundesliga side SC Freiburg on December 12, 2014.
- Son of Stefanie and Derek. Has four siblings: Kaitlyn, Alexis, Ben and Cole.
- Attended Malvern Preparatory School in Malvern before transferring to Downingtown West High School.
Under-20s: Steffen earned four international caps with the U-20 MNT in 2014, posting a 3-0-1 record and two shutouts during the USA’s championship run at the 2014 National Training Center Invitational in Carson, California – a 4-0 victory against Bermuda and a scoreless draw against Australia. From 2012-13, Steffen was called in for multiple camps, serving as the No. 3 goalkeeper during the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship and the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. His first call-up with the squad was serving as the backup to Kendall McIntosh during the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain … Under-18s: Was the primary U-18 MNT goalkeeper in 2012, earning call-ups the Lisbon International Tournament in May, the September training camp in the Netherlands and the U-18 team’s November training camp at the Home Depot Center, starting both friendlies against Canada. He posted a shutout during a scoreless draw against Slovakia on May 24.
In December of 2014, Steffen signed with German Bundesliga side SC Freiburg.
Steffen is a former member of FC DELCO’s Development Academy where he earned East Conference Player of the Year in the U-16 age group during the 2011-12 Academy season. In 2012, Steffen led the Philadelphia Union’s U-17 team to a Cup championship over Toronto FC, highlighted by two penalty kick saves in the shootout of the title game.