Across the Academy - May 24
U.S. U-15 Roster Named for Holland Tournament: U.S. Under-15 Boysâ€™ National Team head coach Tony Lepore named a 20-player roster for the International Marveld Tournament in Groenlo, Holland. Among the roster, 12 players are current members of the Development Academy. Midfielder Cameron Lindley, who played for the Indiana United Fire Academy and joined the U.S. U-17 Residency Program earlier this year, talked with ussoccer.com about the move from the Academy to Residency and his heightened role for the U-15s in this upcoming tournament. Lindley and the U-17s also visited the U.S. Menâ€™s National Team training camp in Orlando, Fla.
CASL Chelsea has Sights on Top Position: CASL Chelsea FC Academyâ€™s U-15/16 team has closed in on Charlotte Soccer Academy and is in reach of the Atlantic Divisionâ€™s top spot. CASL Chelsea hosts the North Carolina Fusion on Thursday night and is currently the team to beat as it holds a 7-0-2 record and is one point behind Atlantic Division-leading Charlotte Soccer Academy.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Another team secured a spot for the 2012 Development Academy Playoffs as the Chicago Fire U-17/18 team posted two victories last weekend â€“ a 4-1 win against Internationals on Saturday and a 3-0 victory against Crew Soccer Academy on Sunday. Victor Pineda had a goal in each match and the Fire improved to 11-0-1 in the Great Lakes Division, carrying a 10-point lead atop the division.
- Texans SC Houston swept its two matches against FC Dallas with 2-1 victories at both age levels. Nathan Ariaya and Timothy Lagrimas netted goals within the first 20 minutes as the Texans SC Houston U-17/18 team held on against an FC Dallas squad that was the first to qualify for the 2012 Development Academy Playoffs. Player of the Week Emmanuel Usen led the offensive spark for the U-15/16 team with both Texans SC Houston goals.
- Oakwood Soccer Club had one of its strongest weekends of the season with both age groups posting wins against Empire United and Seacoast United. Oakwoodâ€™s U-17/18 team jumped up three spots into first place in the Northeast Division as Matthew Barry and Tyler Bonini each had two goals over the weekend. The Oakwood U-15/16 team moved into second place â€“ one point behind FC Greater Boston.
- James Dollâ€™s 73rd-minute goal against Match Fit Chelsea propelled D.C. Unitedâ€™s U-15/16 team to a shutout win on Saturday. The team returned with a second shutout against NJSA 04 on Sunday to move four positions into first place in the Mid-Atlantic Division with a 3-1-3 record and 12 points. Michael Sauers and Kevin Jimenez offensively paced D.C. United with one goal each during the teamâ€™s 2-0 win against NJSA 04.
- Evan Deycaza scored both goals to lead the CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-15/16 team to a 2-1 victory against the North Carolina Fusion and move into second place in the Atlantic Division with a 7-0-2 record (12-2-6 overall). At the older level, Alexander Olofson scored an 87th-minute go-ahead goal to help the CASL Chelsea U-17/18 team defeat the North Carolina Fusion 2-1 to move into third in the Atlantic Division.
- The SoCal Divisionâ€™s Real Salt Lake AZ and LA Galaxy U-15/16 teams both secured a spot in the Academy Playoffs. Salt Lake, atop the division with an 11-4-1 record, defeated Strikers FC 4-2 last weekend. The Galaxy, led by Justin Dhillonâ€™s and Angel Josue Espanaâ€™s two-goal efforts, shut out Real So Cal 6-0 to improve to 10-1-3 in the SoCal Division.
- Chivas USAâ€™s U-17/18 team also qualified for the Academy Playoffs last weekend, clinching a berth following a 4-1 victory against Nomads SC. Nicholas Escalante netted all four goals for Chivas in a 21-minute span in the second half. Chivas USA leads the SoCal Division with a 10-2-3 record (16-6-4 overall).
Week 35 Player of the Week: Emmanuel Usen, Forward, Texans SC Houston
Emmanuel Usen took over the Development Academy goal scoring lead with 22 this season, netting two goals during the Texans SC Houston U-15/16 teamâ€™s 2-1 victory against FC Dallas last Saturday. Usen has started and played in all 29 of Texans SC Houstonâ€™s games as the team sits in second place in the Texas Division.
Referee of the Week: Mohammad Samadpour
Mohammad Samadpour earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekendâ€™s U-17/18 match between Baltimore Bays Chelsea and Match Fit Chelsea. Samadpour had worked 16 Development Academy matches. The Maryland-based referee has also previously worked United Soccer League games.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
U.S. U-18s Tie Poland in Lisbon Tournament: The U.S. U-18 Menâ€™s National Team played to a 1-1 draw against Poland on Wednesday in its first match at the Lisbon International Tournament. Chivas USA Academy forward Ben Spencer scored the equalizer off of a Jack McBean assist.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Alum Juan Agudelo Proves Quick Fit for Chivas USA â€“ MLSSoccer.com
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Record Four Wins â€“ Chicago-Fire.com
- Colorado Rapids Academy Teams Approach Last Regular-Season Games â€“ ColoradoRapids.com
- Revolution Academy Post Draw, Loss to FC Greater Boston â€“ RevolutionSoccer.net
- Development Academy Recap â€“ ESPN RISE
- Development Academy Recap â€“ Top Drawer Soccer
- U.S. U-15 BNT Heads to Netherlands â€“ Top Drawer Soccer
- D.C.-Area Academy Teams Have Mixed Weekend â€“ Potomac Soccer Wire
- FC Greater Boston, NE Revolution U-15/16s Tie â€“ Potomac Soccer Wire