Across the Academy – Feb. 19, 2014
Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney: Maryland-based Bethesda-Olney has made a smooth transition pulling together its resources to make a strong debut in the Development Academy in 2013-14. Both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 sides – the latter sitting in first place in the Atlantic Division – acknowledge vast improvement in the training environment and consistency in the club’s players. ussoccer.com spoke with the club, including U-17/18 head coach Matthew Pilkington, U-15/16 head coach Brett Colton, U-17/18 midfielder Matthew Ledder and U-15/16 forward Matthew Di Rosa to get a better glimpse of its first Academy campaign.
Opportunity Knocks with Mukwelle Akale: Minnesota Thunder Academy midfielder Mukwelle Akale chatted with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series. The MVP of the 2014 Copa del Atlantico while he represented the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team talked about his international opportunities, the benefits of the U-17 Residency Program and the soccer environment in the cold Minnesota climate.
Opportunity Knocks with Dembakwi Yomba: Concorde Fire forward Dembakwi Yomba, a member of the U.S. U-18 MNT during the Copa del Atlantico, sat down for ussoccer.com’s Opportunity Knocks series and spoke about how his Academy experience helped prepare him for the U.S. U-17 Residency Program and beyond.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Feb. 15-16):
- West Conference: The West Conference was idle last weekend.
- Central Conference: The San Antonio Scorpions U-13/14 through U-17/18 squads hosted a tripleheader against Solar Chelsea SC and won at all three levels on Sunday. The Scorpions U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams each garnered a 1-0 victory, with Uriel Benitez providing the lone first-half goal for the U-15/16s and Devon Vega netting a 67th-minute goal for the U-17/18s. The Scorpions U-13/14 team added a 3-1 win, led by two goals from Edward Bass.
- East Conference: IMG Academy’s Matthew Orr scored a game-winning goal in second-half stoppage time to lead his U-15/16 team to a 3-2 victory against Charlotte Soccer Academy last Saturday. Karan Padmakumar added a 60th-minute equalizer for IMG during the match, which included three lead changes.
- Player of the Week: Concorde Fire U-17/18 forward Cameron Moseley was named the Academy Player of the Week following the Feb. 8-9 weekend. Moseley notched his second hat trick in three games since the start of the 2014 portion of the schedule, his latest three-goal effort during a 5-3 win against South Carolina United Battery Academy. Through this stretch, Moseley had seven goals and now has 12 for the season through Feb. 9.
- Referee of the Week: Jose Da Silva, a 21-year-old Grade 6 referee from Florida, was recognized as the Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-17/18 match between Kendall SC and IMG Academy on Feb. 8. Da Silva has worked Academy matches since 2012 and was part of the 2012 Academy Winter Showcase. He also has officiated multiple youth national team games since 2012. In 2013, Da Silva worked during the MLS Combine, MLS preseason, NASL, PDL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Players Earn Training Call with Pros: The 2014 Major League Soccer season is less than a month away and some teams are bringing their Development Academy players to first-team training. That includes the likes of New England Revolution U-15/16 goalkeeper Austin Aviza and U-17/18 midfielder Zach Herivaux, Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 defender Justen Glad, and FC Dallas U-17/18 Academy players Coy Craft and Aaron Meyer. The New England Revolution and Real Salt Lake are taking part in the six-team Desert Diamond Cup in Tucson, Ariz.
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Concorde Fire’s Dembakwi Yomba
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Mukwelle Akale
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Jackson Yueill
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Crew Soccer Academy’s Ben Swanson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Christian Herrera
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Feb. 22-23 weekend includes 40 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups. Another six games feature U-13/14 Academy teams.
- U-13/14 Academy Futsal: The regional futsal action concludes with three events over the Feb. 22-23 weekend. They include nine Academy clubs at the Austin Sports Center in Cedar Park, Texas; 11 clubs at Competitive Edge Sports in King of Prussia, Pa.; and 12 clubs at the Connecticut Sports Arena in New Milford, Conn.
- Chivas USA: Paul Salcedo Excited about Future with UC Berkeley
- FC Dallas: Academy Players Craft and Meyer Train with First Team in Florida
- New England Revolution: Academy Duo Aviza and Herivaux Learning from Pros
- New England Revolution: Two Academy Players Join Senior Team in Tucson
- San Jose Earthquakes: U-15/16s Earn 11th Win of Season
- Seattle Sounders: Kasey Keller Reflects on Impressive Rise of DeAndre Yedlin
- Sporting Kansas City: Academy Wins US Youth Futsal National Championship
- Seattle Times: DeAndre Yedlin Out to Add Consistency to His Massive Success
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap: San Antonio Stings Solar