Across the Academy - June 21
Draws Announced for 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs: The 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs draw was held Monday, with the group pairings and schedule set for the June 25-29 event in Frisco, Texas. The Pateadores U-17/18 team and the LA Galaxy U-15/16 team will look to defend their 2010-11 title. The Development Academy’s postseason will include regular coverage on ussoccer.com, and real-time results and links will be posted on U.S. Soccer’s Youth Twitter feed @ussoccer_ynt using the hashtag #AcademyPlayoffs. (2012 Playoffs & Showcase)
U.S. Futsal Names CONCACAF Futsal Championship Roster: Lucas Stauffer of Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy was one of 14 players named to the U.S. Futsal National Team roster as it begins the 2012 CONCACAF Futsal Championship starting July 2 in Guatemala. The 17-year-old Stauffer, the youngest player on the team, played in the 2011 Grand Prix of Futsal last October. Other Development Academy tie-ins include goalkeeper Boris Pardo, who is the Sporting Kansas City Academy goalkeeper coach, and forward Bato Radoncic, who is a coach for Chicago Magic PSG.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Sporting Kansas City’s U-17/18 team played the role of spoiler as Eduardo Moreno’s two-goal effort led Sporting to a 2-0 win against the Colorado Rush on Saturday. That result allowed the idle Colorado Rapids U-17/18 team to clinch the second Frontier Division spot for the Development Academy Playoffs, one point ahead of the Colorado Rush.
- Zachary Jackson of Texans SC Houston’s U-15/16 team scored the lone goal to lead his squad past the Dallas Texans 1-0 on Sunday to earn the second Texas Division postseason slot and move ahead of Solar Chelsea SC in the standings. Four division teams will be represented at the Academy Playoffs, with the Dallas Texans holding a No. 1 seed in its group and Solar Chelsea SC and fourth-place FC Dallas claiming wild card berths.
- D.C. United’s U-15/16 team moved up from fifth place to win a tightly contested Mid-Atlantic Division and qualify for the Academy Playoffs after its 5-1 win against Match Fit Chelsea and 3-0 victory against NJSA 04. Jorge Calix had five goals in two games, including four against Match Fit Chelsea. Heading into the weekend, no postseason positions had been determined among the Mid-Atlantic teams. PA Classics ended up in a second-place tie with FC DELCO, which led the division before the final regular-season weekend. PA Classics got the Academy Playoffs nod over FC DELCO based on divisional goal differential.
- Empire United’s U-17/18 team pulled away from the rest of the pack with a 4-0 victory against FC Greater Boston on Saturday and a 4-0 win against the New England Revolution to win the Northeast Division. Empire United entered the weekend with a two-point lead over the Revolution and ended up winning the division by five points. Darren Cooper had three goals over the weekend, including two against the New England Revolution, which maintained second place in the division to qualify for the postseason.
- The New England Revolution U-15/16 team increased its unbeaten streak to 10 games (8-0-2) with a 4-3 win against Seacoast United and a 4-1 victory against Empire United. The team moved into second place in the Northeast Division to earn an Academy Playoffs berth and move ahead of the Oakwood Soccer Club.
- McLean Youth Soccer’s Peter Lam scored a goal in the 90th minute as the U-17/18 team played CASL Chelsea FC Academy to a 1-1 draw on Saturday. McLean earned a wild card berth for the Development Academy Playoffs. CASL Chelsea FC Academy, which won the previous Wednesday’s game against the Richmond Kickers, took second in the Atlantic Division. Charlotte Soccer Academy’s U-17/18 team was idle during the final weekend of the regular season and held on for the division title by one point over CASL Chelsea and McLean Youth Soccer.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
U.S. U-15 BNT Posts Win, Draw at Copa Mexico: The U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team played three matches in the Copa Mexico de Naciones tournament. After the team fell 1-0 to Spain on Monday, the U.S. responded with a 3-1 win against Costa Rica on Tuesday and a scoreless draw against Colombia on Wednesday. U.S. goalkeeper Abraham Romero of the LA Galaxy Academy had a key penalty kick save during the Colombia match. Fourteen of the 20 players on the U.S. U-15 roster are members of the Development Academy.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Development Academy Playoffs Coming to Frisco – FCDallas.com
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Start Playoffs Monday – Chicago-Fire.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Teams go into Playoffs as No. 1 Seeds – LAGalaxy.com
- D.C. United U-15/16 Team Wins Mid-Atlantic, Advances to Playoffs – DCUnited.com
- Revolution Academy Teams Qualifying for Playoffs – RevolutionSoccer.net
- Colorado Rapids U-17/18 Team Learns Opponents for Playoffs – ColoradoRapids.com
- Galaxy, Fire Academy Teams Top Seeds in Both Playoffs – Soccer America
- Last-Gasp Strike Gives McLean First Academy Playoffs Berth – Potomac Soccer Wire
- Wisconsin State Ties in Academy Playoffs – Wisconsin Soccer Central
- Red Bulls Academy Teams Finish Regular Season with 3-0 Wins – Big Apple Soccer
- Development Academy Recap: Playoffs Ahead – Top Drawer Soccer
Other Academy News:
- All-In Podcast with Fire Academy’s Larry Sunderland – Chicago-Fire.com
- Colorado Rapids Sign Shane O’Neill as Homegrown Player – ColoradoRapids.com
- Shane O’Neill Living Out Pro Dream as Newest Member of Rapids – Denver Post
- Rapids Welcome Shane O’Neill – Times Call
- Recruiting Insider: Futsal star Lucas Stauffer – Top Drawer Soccer
- Darlington Nagbe Adjusts to Changing Positions – The Oregonian