Across the Academy - Nov. 23
Academy Alumni Advance to Third Round of NCAA Tournament: Many former Development Academy alumni are playing pivotal roles at the NCAA Tournament through two rounds. Among the impressive offensive contributions, former Indiana United Academy players Dylan Mares of No. 16 Louisville and Nikita Kotlov No. 19 Indiana each posted a hat trick to lead their teams to the third round. ussoccer.com also caught up with former Chicago Fire Academy player and Northwestern freshman Joey Calistri as his ninth goal of the season led the Wildcats to a 1-0 upset victory against Marquette to reach the Sweet 16. (The YNT Blog)
U-17 MNT tops Canada Heading into Nike International Friendlies: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team rallied for a 2-1 victory against Canada on Sunday, Nov. 18. The team now looks ahead to the 2012 Nike International Friendlies, held in conjunction with the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Winter Showcase, the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Crossfire Premier’s U-15/16 team moved up to the middle of the pack in the Northwest Division with 3-1 victories against the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy last Saturday and the previously unbeaten De Anza Force on Sunday. Mohamed Dukuly had two goals against Santa Cruz and Ibrahima Drame had two goals on the road against De Anza Force. Crossfire Premier has won three straight to improve to 3-2-2 and tied for fourth place in the division.
- Bryan Guzman scored the game-winning goal in the 90th minute to lead the LA Galaxy U-17/18 team to a 3-2 victory against Real Salt Lake AZ last Saturday in a matchup of the top two teams in the Southwest Division. Sebastian Velasquez had two goals for the LA Galaxy (6-0-1, 19 points) and Benjamin Lopez had both goals for Real Salt Lake AZ (6-1-2, 20 points). The LA Galaxy U-15/16 team’s Steve Martinez scored two goals, including an equalizer in the 80th minute, to earn a 2-2 draw against Real Salt Lake AZ.
- The Houston Dynamo U-15/16s won their four straight match as Giovanni Pacheco scored the game’s lone goal in the 70th minute for a 1-0 local derby victory against Texans SC Houston. The Houston Dynamo (5-1-1) has outscored its opponents 7-0 over the four-game winning streak.
- Indiana Fire Academy’s U-17/18 team blanked the Crew Soccer Academy Wolves 2-0 on the strength of Joey Bastian’s 85th-minute goal and Brian Martin’s clinching tally two minutes into stoppage time. Indiana Fire Academy leads the Central Conference at 7-1-3 and 2.18 points per game.
- Max Kroschwitz and Players Development Academy’s U-17/18 squad moved to 6-0-0 on the season with a 1-0 victory against D.C. United in Atlantic Division play. Kroschwitz scored the game-winner in the 48th minute and Players Development Academy posted its fourth shutout of the season.
- The New York Red Bulls U-15/16 team is the lone unbeaten squad in the Northeast Division following its 3-1 road victory against the Oakwood Soccer Club last Saturday. Oakwood (6-1-0). Anthony Viteri, Derrick Etienne and Steven Echevarria each scored a goal within a 10-minute span in an action-packed first half for the Red Bulls (7-0-1). Matthew Vasquenza had the lone goal for Oakwood Soccer Club.
Week 11 Player of the Week: TBD
Referee of the Week: Turan Ozdemir
Turan Ozdemir earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders FC. Ozdemir is a 26-year-old Grade 6 referee from Northern California. He attended the Spring Showcase earlier this year.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
U-20 MNT to Face Costa Rica, Haiti in 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: The U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team will compete in Group A alongside Costa Rica and Haiti at the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18 to March 3, 2013. The top four finishers qualify for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. (2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship Draw Quote Sheet)
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Recap: Galaxy nips RSL, Sounders Roll – Top Drawer Soccer
- New England Revolution Academy Defender Christian Sady Gets to Make His Case – revolutionsoccer.net
- New York Red Bulls Academy Posts Three Shutouts – newyorkredbulls.com
- Portland Timbers Academy’s Rubio Rubin Named U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of Year – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program