Across the Academy - June 16, 2011
U.S. U-17 MNT Arrives in Torreon for 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup: The U.S. Under-17 Menâ€™s National Team is in Torreon, in northern Mexico, preparing for the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Head coach Wilmer Cabreraâ€™s squad, complete with 15 players from 14 Development Academy clubs, kicks off its run in the tournament against Czech Republic on Sunday, June 19, atÂ 7 p.m. ET, live on ESPNU and ESPN3, and shown on taped delay on TeleFutura.
2011 Playoffs Field Almost Set with One Weekend Left to be Played: Itâ€™s coming down to the wire as several teams are still looking to clinch a spot at the 2011 Development Academy Playoffs. After weekday matches on Tuesday, 15 teams in the Under-17/18 age group had clinched along with 19 in the Under-15/16 age group. The final matches will be played this weekend and then the 2011 Playoffs participants will be set.
Empire United and D.C. United Academy Win Division in Both Age Groups: Empire United and D.C. United Academy are the only two Development Academy clubs who have won their divisions in both age groups.
CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18 and Concorde Fire U-15/16 Finish Division Play Undefeated: CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18 finished their season in the Atlantic Division with a 12-0-2 record and Concorde Fire U-15/16 posted the same record in the Southeast Division. Those are the only two teams to complete their divisional schedule with an undefeated record.
â€œLikeâ€ the Development Academy on Facebook: Keep up with the 2011 Development Academy Playoffs & Showcase on Facebook! Be sure to â€œlikeâ€ the U.S. Soccer Development Academy page to get the latest news and notes right on your Facebook feed.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- 34 teams have clinched a place in the 2011 PlayoffsÂ
- Two teams won their division in both age groups: Empire United and D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls U-17/18 team defeated Met Oval in a lopsided 6-0 match, with Brandon Allen scoring a hat trick, Scott Thomsen adding a brace and Kyle McCord also scoring
- South Central Premier U-17/18â€™s Zachary Zurita scored three of his teamâ€™s four goals in the 4-3 win against FC Greater BostonÂ
- Albertson U-15/16 qualified for the 2011 Playoffs with a 3-0 win against Cosmos Academy East
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Will Bruin Adjusts to Life as a Pro: Major League Soccer rookie and Development Academy alumni Will Bruin is finding his place with Houston Dynamo. The young defender has been nicknamed â€œDancing Bearâ€ and is adapting well to life in MLS.
Aaron Horton Debuts for Columbus Crew: Aaron Horton signed for the Columbus Crew as a homegrown player after playing with Crew Academy. Last week, Horton was given the nod by Crew head coach Robert Warzycha and helped the team to a 2-1 win against Real Salt Lake.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Potomac Soccer Wire lists all the teams that have qualified for the 2011 Development Academy Playoffs â€“ Potomac Soccer WireÂ
- Will Bruin adjusts to life as a professional player and the soaring Houston heat â€“ MLSsoccer.comÂ
- D.C. United congratulates its Academy teams for winning their division in both age groups â€“ D.C. UnitedÂ
- Goal.com discusses the 2011 Academy Showcase that will run alongside the 2011 Academy Playoffs â€“ Goal.comÂ
- Both Seattle Sounders Academy teams also clinched division titles along with a berth in the 2011 Academy Playoffs â€“ Sounders at HeartÂ
- Big D Soccer reports that FC Dallas Academy qualified for the 2011 Academy Playoffs and won the Under-17/18 Texas Division â€“ Big D SoccerÂ
- D.C. United Academy highlights Academy players who stand out in a Reserve League game â€“ D.C. UnitedÂ
- Top Drawer Soccer looks at the Playoff qualifying picture for the Under-16 teams â€“ Top Drawer Soccer