Across the Academy - May 9
U-20 MNT Wraps Up Camp, Looks Ahead to Toulon: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team wrapped up a weeklong camp at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif., and is now looking ahead to the Toulon Tournament in France from May 28-June 8 to continue preparing for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos caught up with ussoccer.com about the positives from the camp.
U-15 BNT Bows Out of Tournament Delle Nazioni: The U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team fell to Croatia 2-1 in the semifinals of the Tournament Delle Nazioni on Saturday, May 4, in Mauthen, Austria. Former Chivas USA Academy player Joshua Perez had the USA’s lone goal on a penalty kick.
Philadelphia Union Preps for 2013-14 Academy Season: Philadelphia Union Academy director Tommy Wilson arrived from Scotland on April 29, and he spoke with ussoccer.com about quickly getting acclimated to the Academy structure to prepare for the Union’s 2013-14 Academy debut.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA swept Real Salt Lake AZ on Saturday, highlighted by the U-15/16 team’s 4-2 victory to maintain first place in the Southwest Division. Jorge Ruiz scored three goals for Chivas and Ryo Fujii added a goal as Chivas built a 4-1 lead through the game’s first 48 minutes. Chivas USA’s U-17/18s held off Real Salt Lake AZ for a 3-2 victory, with Mario Ortiz scoring the game-winner in the 75th minute. Armando Flores and Caleb Calvert also had goals for Chivas (13-8-5) as Real Salt Lake (17-5-4) fell to second place in the division standings behind the LA Galaxy (18-4-3).
- With Indiana Fire Academy’s U-17/18 team idle, Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy used the opportunity to move into a first-place tie with a 2-0 victory against Sockers FC on Saturday and a 3-1 win against FC Milwaukee on Sunday. Michael Bajza scored a goal in each game, with both tallies representing the game-winner. Steve Eneme added a goal against Sockers while Lesley Nchanji and Valdis Upmalis each had a goal against FC Milwaukee. Shattuck-Saint Mary’s moved to 16-6-1 (49 points). Indiana Fire Academy is 15-4-4 (49 points).
- NJSA 04’s two Academy teams had a dominant weekend, each posting a pair of victories against D.C. United and the Virginia Rush in Atlantic Division play. For the U-15/16s, Shaun Keegan scored all three goals as NJSA blanked D.C. United 1-0 on Saturday and rallied past the Virginia Rush 2-1 on Sunday. NJSA’s U-17/18 team has now posted four straight shutout victories following a 1-0 win against D.C. United on Saturday and a 4-0 rout of the Virginia Rush the next day. Austin Lenart had the game’s lone goal against D.C. and Greg Seifert’s second-minute tally against the Virginia Rush held up as the game-winner.
- Kendall SC’s U-17/18 team has extended its unbeaten streak to 17 games (10-0-7), most recently topping CASL Chelsea FC Academy 2-1 on Saturday and drawing 1-1 against the North Carolina Fusion on Sunday. Ethan Spivack kept the unbeaten run intact with an 89th-minute equalizer against the Fusion. Spivack also helped Kendall SC rally past CASL Chelsea with an 82nd-minute game-tying goal, followed by Ricardo Gomez’s winner in the 85th minute. Kendall (12-3-8) is second in the Southeast Division behind Weston FC (14-6-3).
Player of the Week: Jordan Morris, F, Seattle Sounders
Jordan Morris scored two goals in two games for the Seattle Sounders U-17/18 team this past weekend. He tallied an 83rd-minute goal during Seattle’s 4-0 win against Cal Odyssey on Saturday, May 4, then had the game’s opening fifth-minute goal during the Sounders’ 3-1 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday, May 5. Morris is tied for second in the Development Academy with 24 goals in 24 games played. He recently was called into the U.S. U-20 MNT’s training camp from April 22-29 in Carson, Calif.
Referee of the Week: Britton Maier
Britton Maier earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during Sunday’s U-17/18 match between the Crew Soccer Academy and Chicago Magic PSG. The 41-year-old Grade 4 official from Ohio worked his 17th Academy match. Maier also works USL PRO, PDL, W-League, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and Youth National Team matches.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Playoff Field Taking Shape: The 2012-13 Development Academy Playoffs are fast approaching, with the games scheduled for June 24-28 in Frisco, Texas. Currently there are 24 teams that have qualified for the 64 playoff spots (32 in each age group). Six clubs have qualified at both age groups – Baltimore Bays Chelsea, D.C. United, Players Development Academy, Real Salt Lake AZ and the Seattle Sounders. The YNT Blog.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Colorado Rapids Academy Product Dillon Serna Talks U-20 MNT Training (video) – coloradorapids.com
- FC Dallas Academy Drops Pair of Matches Against Solar Chelsea – fcdallas.com
- Houston Dynamo’s Bruin Brings out Best Against D.C. United – houstondynamo.com
- New England Revolution Acquires NYRB Academy Product Juan Agudelo from Chivas – revolutionsoccer.net
- Revs GM Discusses Agudelo Trade (video) – revolutionsoccer.net
- Revolution Academy Teams Go Unbeaten Against Oakwood – revolutionsoccer.net
- New York Red Bulls Academy Goes 3-1-0 in Weekend Play – newyorkredbulls.com
- Portland Timbers U-15/16 Academy Post Two Victories – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program