As part of our continuing effort to service and educate our membership, each Thursday U.S. Soccer will provide an informative article from one of its departments. Once a week, we will bring you an article/paper/essay that will hopefully enhance your enjoyment and knowledge of the game of soccer - on and off the field. This month, we will look into the world of the coaching.
The U.S. Soccer Coaching Department routinely fields queries regarding the many programs and services that it offers. What follows are some of the most frequently asked questions - and the corresponding answers.
U.S. Soccer Coaching Department
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are the prerequisites for the National "A", "B", "C" and Youth Licenses?
Answer: The following are the prerequisites for the National "A", "B", "C" and Youth Licenses:
- "A" License: Candidates must be 21 years old and have earned a National "B" License (held for minimum of 12 months) and meet 3.2 Rule requirement
- "B" License: Candidates must be 19 years old and have earned a National "C" License (held for minimum of 12 months) and meet 3.2 Rule requirement or have received the NSCAA Advanced National Diploma (held for minimum of 12 months)
- "C" License: Candidates must be 18 years old and have earned a National "D" License held for a minimum of 12 months or have received the NSCAA National Diploma (held for minimum of 12 months)
- Youth License: Candidates must be 18 years old and hold a "D" License or have the approval of the State Director of
Coaching to attend the course.
Q: What are the membership benefits of the U.S. Soccer Coaches Organization?
A: As a member of the U.S. Soccer Coaches Organization you receive these benefits from your membership:
- Free subscription to the bi-monthly coaching publication, "Success in Soccer", the most comprehensive coaching magazine on the market ($25 value)
- Reduced rates for USSF National Coaching Schools ($50 value)
- Liability insurance policy ($100 value)
- National coaching clinics & symposiums (saving of $10-20 per clinic)
- National Teams Annual Technical Summary (reduced rate of purchase)
- Access to soccer videos and literature (savings of 10-15%)
- U.S. Soccer Coaches Organization Membership card
- Free U.S. Soccer Coaches Organization shirt ($15 value)
- U.S. Soccer Website
- E-mail of U.S. Soccerâ€™s Weekly Newsletter, "SoccerWire"
Q: How can I receive "SoccerWire" and stay up-to-date with other U.S. Soccer news?
A: "SoccerWire" is a benefit of membership in the U.S. Soccer Coaches Organization and is available via e-mail to members. If you are a current member and do not currently receive this informative weekly newsletter, please contact the U.S. Soccer Organization at (312) 528-1265.
Q: Can I be waived into the "C" or "B" License with professional playing experience?
A: Applicants with three (3) years of coaching experience AND three (3) years playing experience with U.S. National Teams or three (3) years professional playing experience may be waived into the National "C" License. Applicants with five (5) years coaching experience AND five (5) years playing experience with U.S. National Teams or five (5) years professional playing experience may be waived into the National "B" License. Documentation of both professional playing experience and coaching experience is required.
Q: What type of documentation do I need to apply for a coaching license waiver for the National â€œBâ€ or â€œCâ€ License?
A: If applying as a professional player, the applicant must fill out the Professional Player Waiver application and submit proof of professional playing and coaching experience. Please contact the U.S. Soccer Coaching Department at (312) 528-1219 or email@example.com for an application form.
Q: Who is eligible to take a National License?
A: All persons are eligible to take our courses provided they meet the requirements for the License they seek (see above).
Q: Where can I find an application for the National Coaching Schools?
A: Applications can be downloaded on U.S. Soccer's website - www.ussoccer.com - or by contacting the Coaching Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 528-1219.
Q: Do I need to be "in shape" for the Coaching Schools?
A: We strongly recommend that you be in decent physical condition to meet the physical demands of the courses.
Q: Where can I find State Hosted National â€œCâ€ and Youth License schedules?
A: Please click here for a current listing of State-Hosted National â€œCâ€ and Youth License courses or call the Coaching Department at (312) 528-1219.
Q: Where would I find National "D" License schedules?
A: This course is taught by the local State Youth Soccer Associations. Contact your state office and speak with the Director of Coaching for a schedule of courses.
Q: Do I have to renew my USSF National "B" License?
A: No. The "B" and "C" Licenses are non-expiring.
Q: How many Continuing Education credits do I need to keep my National "A" License current?
A: All coaches currently holding an "A" License must accumulate eight (8) CE credits within every four-year cycle to maintain the status of their "A" License.
Q: What qualifies for the Continuing Education Program?
A: U.S. Soccer recognizes or conducts the following activities or events where CE credits can be obtained. Credit amounts will vary pending duration and/or level of programming.
- 1. Attendance at a regional coaching or player development workshop or in-service program (2-4 credits)
- 2. Attendance at a U.S. Soccer coaching symposium (2-4 credits)
- 3. Attendance at a U.S. Soccer National Coaching School to audit the "A" License course (8 credits)
- 4. Successfully complete the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Premier Course (8 credits)
Q: How do I update my USSF "A" License if it expires?
A: Coaches with expired "A" Licenses must re-take the "A" License courses and pass the examinations in order to be awarded the "A" License.
Q: How can I find out where coaching symposiums are being held that qualify for the Continuing Education Program?
A: These activities or events are publicized here.
Q: How can I get an extension on my "A" License?
A: Please send a letter to the U.S. Soccerâ€™s Manager of Coaching Programs with a detailed explanation of the extension request. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Q: How can I replace my "A", B", "C" or Youth License certificate?
A: It is now easier to replace your lost or misplaced National â€œAâ€, â€œBâ€, â€œCâ€ or Youth Coaching License certificate or card. Simply, fill out the Replacement Coaching License order form - available for download on ussoccer.com as a .pdf - and mail it back along with payment to the U.S. Soccer Federation, Attn.: Coaching Department, 1801 S. Prairie Ave., Chicago, IL 60616. Please allow 2-3 weeks for your request to be processed. Feel free to contact the Coaching Department at (312) 528-1219 or email@example.com with any questions.
Q: How can I replace my â€œDâ€ or â€œEâ€ Coaching License?
A: The State Youth Soccer Associations administer all â€œDâ€ and â€œEâ€ Coaching Licenses. Please contact the State Youth Soccer Association office where you took your course. A directory of State Youth Soccer Associations is available at ussoccer.com.
Q: What are the types of coaching materials for sale from U.S. Soccer?
A: U.S. Soccer has available for sale the Official Playing and Coaching Manual of the United States Soccer Federation, Soccer: How to Play the Game. To purchase, please call (312) 528-1265 or download and fax in the following order form (.pdf). You may also order the book from ussoccerstore.com by clicking here.
For more information â€“ or to ask a question of your own - please contact Kati Hope, U.S. Soccerâ€™s Manager of Coaching Programs at (312) 528-1231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.