Across the Academy - March 7
U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Drawn into Group C of CONCACAF Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team was drawn into Group C for the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, which will take place April 6-19 in Panama City, Panama. The U.S. will face Guatemala and Haiti in its attempt to qualify for the 2013 FIFA World Cup in the United Arab Emirates from Oct. 17-Nov. 8. Follow the team at the YNT blog and on twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U-18 MNT Will Take 10-Day, 3-Match Trip to France and Romania March 15-25: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team will convene for the first time since late November of 2012 to take part in a 10-day trip, from March 15-25 to France and Romania. The trip will include three matches; first the U.S. U-18s will face France in Clairefontaine, outside of Paris on March 19. Then they will head to Romania for a double fixture with the Romanians on March 22 and 24 in Bucharest. U-18 head coach Javier Perez’ 20-player roster for the trip will be released shortly.
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Utilizing Caleb Stanko’s Versatility: Stanko hails from a three-season stint in U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy at Michigan-based Vardar (now Vardar SC Freiburg), and he had been a part of the club since the U-7 level.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting a youth futsal event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. If you are interested in viewing photos from the event, please download Scout, U.S. Soccer’s digital magazine. It highlights youth players identified in our programs and we focused the first issue around last weekend’s futsal event in Philadelphia.
U-20 MNT’S Jose Villareal Represents Growing Presence from Academy Base: From a U.S. Soccer Development Academy championship, to scoring his first professional goal in Major League Soccer, to representing the U.S. and helping the team advance to the FIFA U-20 World Cup, Villarreal has been a true product of the youth soccer system.
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Pateadores U-17/18 stretched their unbeaten streak to six games, defeating Cal Odyssey U-17/18 by a score of 6-1. Roberto Escudero and Dante Medina both record braces for Pats, Escudero leads the team with 14 goals on the season.
- Colorado Rapids U-17/18 knocked off Texas Rush U-17/18 by a 4-1 score. Alex Todercia tallied on both ends of halftime and now leads the club with five on the season. The Rapids play last place Classics Elite U-17/18 next week as they attempt to keep moving up in the Frontier Division.
- The New York Red Bulls U-15/16 were the highest scoring team of the week with an 11-0 win against South Central Premiere. Dante Perez tallied four times as the Red Bulls won their fourth consecutive game and remain in first place in the Northeast Division.
Player of the Week: TBD
Referee of the Week: Guido Gonzalez Jr.
Guido Gonzalez Jr. has been named Referee of the Week for his officiating performance in the match between Concorde Fire U-17/18 and Georgia United U-17/18 in Week 23. Guido is a 29-year-old, grade-six referee from Georgia who has worked 15 academy matches and attended the 2012 Winter Showcase.
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program