Across the Academy - Nov. 8
U-17 MNT To Face Brazil, Turkey and Portugal at 2012 Nike International Friendlies In Conjunction with Development Academy Showcase: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team is set to square off against Brazil, Turkey and Portugal in the 10th annual Nike International Friendlies from Nov. 28-Dec. 3 in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Along with the National Team competition, the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Winter Showcase will see all 80 Academy teams compete in 240 non-conference matches.
Academy Alum Brandon Allen Helps Lead Georgetown to Postseason: After posting a remarkable haul of goals during four seasons playing in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, former New York Red Bulls U-17/18 forward Brandon Allen has stepped up to lead Georgetown to the brink of a BIG EAST Conference championship.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- LA Galaxy’s U-17/18 squad remained unbeaten as a bevy of bench players stepped up to earn a 1-0 victory against Nomads SC. With several starters away on official college recruiting visits, Aaron Lombardi registered the game-winning goal, his second goal of the season, for the Galaxy early in the second half. The win keeps LA on top of the Southwest Division with a 5-0-1 record, 2.67 points per game and extends the team’s unbeaten streak to six games.
- The Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps met in a clash of Northwest Division rivals in both age groups. Nicholas Nguyen registered a hat trick and Isidro Prado-Huerta added a goal as the Sounders U-17/18 team defeated the Whitecaps 4-2. In the younger age group, the Sounders completed the sweep as four different players scored in a 4-0 shutout win.
- In a meeting of Chicagoland rivals, the Chicago Fire and Chicago Magic PSG tangled in both age groups in a Mid-America Division showdown. The Magic emerged victorious in both games for the weekend sweep, as the U-17/18 side maintained its lead atop the division with a 7-2-0 record and 2.33 points per game. The Magic U-17/18 has conceded just three goals in nine matches and blanked the Fire 2-0 for its seventh clean sheet of the season. Dzenan Nezirevic and Xavier Gomez scored in the win. In the U-15/16 age group, Abuchi Obinwa scored the game-winning goal four minutes from time to lift the Magic to a 1-0 win.
- Vardar SC Freiburg U-15/16 remained one of only three unbeaten teams left in the Central Conference with a 2-1 win against Crew Soccer Academy. Nash Popovic scored the game-winning goal in the 79th minute as Vardar (7-0-3) rebounded from an early 1-0 deficit. FC Dallas (6-0-0) and Crew Soccer Academy Wolves (8-0-1) are the other unbeaten teams left in the Conference.
- D.C. United U-15/16 extended its season-opening winning streak to eight games with a 3-0 victory against Atlantic Division foe Virginia Rush. Julian Cummings, Jean-Christophe Koffi and Gerson Umaña all scored for United. Umaña’s tally brings his season total to eight, tying him atop the U-15/16 goal-scoring leaderboard with FC DELCO’s Doyle Tuvesson and FC Dallas’s Santiago Agudelo.
- Georgia United and Orlando City’s U-15/16 sides went head-to-head in a Southeast Division clash and both teams remained unbeaten in a 1-1 draw. Bryce Overbey put Orlando City on the board early in the fifth minute, but Jad Arslan leveled for Georgia United in the 34th minute.
Week 9 Player of the Week: Stephen Megaloudis, Midfielder, CASL Chelsea FC
Stephen Megaloudis scored both goals in a 2-1 win for CASL Chelsea FC U-15/16 against regional rival Charlotte Soccer Academy, including the game-winning goal on a free kick in the 80th minute. The midfielder has scored five goals this season for CASL Chelsea FC as the team is currently on a four-game winning streak and is near the top of the Southeast Division standings with a 4-1-0 record, 12 points and 2.40 points per game.
Referee of the Week: Vince Apple-Chiarella
Vince Apple-Chiarella earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between San Juan Soccer Club and the San Jose Earthquakes. His performance at a handful of 2012 Referee Identification Events reinforced his selection as Referee of the Week. Apple-Chiarella, a Grade 6 referee, works in the Cal-North region and has officiated nearly 20 Development Academy matches. He attended the 2012 Development Academy Spring Showcase and served as a linesman in the USYSA U-19 Boys’ National Cup final between Crew Jrs. and GSA93 in Rock Hill, S.C., last summer.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
Development Academy Webinar Replay: On Tuesday, Nov. 6, U.S. Soccer Director of Youth National Team Scouting Tony Lepore hosted a public webinar regarding the U-13/14 Development Academy program. The audio and graphics are available through ussoccer.com.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Rewind: Sounders top ‘Caps – Top Drawer Soccer
- All in the Family at D.C. United – Soccer America
- Newcomer Orlando City Undefeated in U-15/16 – Soccer America
- Rowe Reflects on Rollercoaster Rookie Season – New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Extends Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez through 2014 – FC Dallas
- Jonathan Top Putting in Extra Effort to Improve – FC Dallas
- MacMath, Hernandez to Train with Everton, Real Sociedad – Philadelphia Union
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program