Milbrett Tops List of WUSA Post-Season Honorees
CHICAGO (Thursday, August 23, 2001) - The WUSA today announced results of the balloting for its Inaugural Post-Season Awards, with the list of honorees headed by Tiffeny Milbrett of the New York Power, who was voted Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year.
Milbrett led the WUSA with 16 goals scored and 35 points as she was a dominating presence on offense throughout the Inaugural Season for the Power.
Ian Sawyers, who guided the Bay Area CyberRays to the League's Championship Game, was voted Coach of the Year; Philadelphia Charge defender Doris Fitschen was selected Defensive Player of the Year; LaKeysia Beene of the CyberRays was named Goalkeeper of the Year; and Sandra Hunt as Referee of the Year.
Sawyers directed the CyberRays to a 11-6-4 regular season record, good for the most wins in the Inaugural Season. A large part of the success of the CyberRays was attributable to their goalkeeper Beene, who posted a 0.97 goals against average and eight shutouts. Fitschen was a mainstay for the Philadelphia defense, providing veteran leadership to one of the league's youngest squads.
The balloting for the awards was conducted by the WUSA Public Relations office in conjunction with the Professional Soccer Reporters Association.
In addition to the individual player awards, the WUSA also announced the selection of Kate Sobrero of Boston Breakers as the WUSA Humanitarian Award winner for her dedicated community service. The Washington Freedom were honored with the Team Community Service Award and the New York Power received the Team Fair Play Award.
The WUSA also named its Global Award winners, recognizing the top players in the league at each position.
WUSA Inaugural Season Award Winners
- WUSA Most Valuable Player - Tiffeny Milbrett (New York Power)
- WUSA Offensive Player of the Year - Tiffeny Milbrett (New York Power)
- WUSA Defensive Player of the Year - Doris Fitschen (Philadelphia Charge)
- WUSA Goalkepper of the Year - LaKeysia Beene (Bay Area CyberRays)
- WUSA Coach of the Year - Ian Sawyers (Bay Area CyberRays)
- WUSA Referee of the Year - Sandra Hunt
- WUSA Humanitarian Award - Kate Sobrero (Boston Breakers)
- WUSA Team Community Service Award - Washington Freedom
- WUSA Team Fair Play Award - New York Power
WUSA Global XI First Team
- Forwards: Tiffeny Milbrett (New York Power), Shannon MacMillan (San Diego Spirit), Charmaine Hooper (Atlanta Beat)
- Midfielders: Maren Meinert (Boston Breakers), Sissi (Bay Area CyberRays), Kristine Lilly (Boston Breakers), Hege Riise (Carolina Courage)
- Defenders: Doris Firschen (Philadelphia Charge), Brandi Chastain (Bay Area CyberRays), Gro Espeseth (New York Power)
- Goalkeeper: LaKeysia Beene (Bay Area CyberRays)
WUSA Global XI Second Team
- Forwards: Dagny Mellgren (Boston Breakers), Mia Hamm (Washington Freedom), Kelly Smith (Philadelphia Charge)
- Midfielders: Liu Ailing (Philadelphia Charge), Cindy Parlow (Atlanta Beat), Sun Wen (Atlanta Beat), Julie Foudy (San Diego Spirit)
- Defenders: Carla Overbeck (Carolina Courage), Fan Yunjie (San Diego Spirit), Kelly Lindsey (Bay Area CyberRays)
- Goalkeeper: Briana Scurry (Atlanta Beat)