Think you know your soccer trivia? We’ll be the judge of that. Pop quiz: who the heck is Jack Marshall? Even the trivia buffs in the U.S. Soccer Communications Department would be hard-pressed to tell you that one Jack Marshall received his one and only cap way back in 1926. Okay, that was pretty much impossible. They get easier. We give you four questions at varying difficulty levels, from 1 (easiest) to 4 (hardest).
The focus only really falls on the U-23s once every four years, so with Athens six months away, it’s time to catch up on this "tweener" age group and its recent Olympic history with a quartet of questions.
Q1: Which player was the only collegian on the 2000 Olympic Team?
Q2: Which former U-23 standout played for Bruce Arena at both the Atlanta Games and at D.C. United in 1996?
Q3: Which MLS team has the most players on the current U.S. Under-23 MNT roster?
Q4: Who has the most Olympic appearances (includes qualifying matches) of any U.S. player?
scroll down for the answers ....
A1: Conor Casey, who was a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Portland at the time.
A2: U.S. MNT defender Eddie Pope, who started all three games for the USA and 18 games for United as a rookie and eventual MLS champion.
A3: D.C. United, with five players: goalkeeper Doug Warren, defender David Stokes, midfielders Brian Carroll and Bobby Convey, and forward Alecko Eskandarian.
A4: U.S. MNT goalkeeper Brad Friedel, with 18 caps. Friedel earned 13 caps in helping the U-23s qualify for Barcelona in 1991-2 before being recalled almost 10 years later as an "overaged" player to lead the U.S. to a record fourth place finish in Sydney in 2000.
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder [The U-23 Class of 2000: Then and Now]
2) In Threes [w/ MNT midfielder Chris Klein]
3) Making it in the Show [w/ U-23 MNT midfielder David Testo]
4) Queries & Anecdotes [w/ U-23 MNT forward Conor Casey]
5) Mark that Calendar [U-23 MNT vs. Group A – 2004 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying / Live on MatchTracker]
6) Superstar!!! [w/ WNT defender Heather Mitts]
7) Point/Counterpoint [Who will be the Breakout Players for U.S. Soccer in 2004?]
8) You Don't Know Jack (Marshall) [General U-23/Men’s Olympic Trivia]
***HOW’S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org