Across the Academy - Nov. 1
U.S. Soccer Holding U-13/14 Academy Program Webinar: U.S. Soccer will be holding a public webinar for clubs interested in joining the Under-13/14 Development Academy program at 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 6. Applications are being accepted to enter a team into the U-13/14 program starting in the Fall of 2013. The deadline for interested clubs to submit the online application is Dec. 1, 2012. (APPLICATION)
Orlando City U-15/16 Team Puts Perfect Record on Line: Development Academy newcomer Orlando City and its U-15/16 team will look to maintain its perfect record when it faces a stiff test against Georgia United (4-0-1) this Sunday. Orlando City is 4-0-0 through October in the Southeast Division. Orlando City U-15/16 head coach Sean Murphy caught up with ussoccer.com to talk about the program’s first Academy season.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Most West Conference teams were on a bye week, but Chivas USA’s U-15/16 team seized the moment to improve to 3-1-2 in the Southwest Division with a 3-0 victory against Real So Cal. Mark Hernandez, Alejandro Vergara and Edgar Murillo each found the back of the net for Chivas, which is second in the division at 1.83 points per game, trailing only Real Salt Lake AZ (4-0-2, 14 points, 2.33 points per game).
- Vardar SC Freiburg’s U-17/18 team dramatically overcame a 2-0 deficit with three stoppage-time goals in a span of approximately four minutes to earn a 3-2 victory against the Minnesota Thunder Academy. Brian Winterfield cut the deficit to two and Noah Bushaw tallied the equalizer and the game-winner that deflected off of a Minnesota Thunder defender to complete the comeback. Vardar SC Freiburg improved to 6-1-2 and 20 points and sits in second in the Mid-America Division at 2.22 points per game, on the heels of Chicago Magic PSG (6-2-0, 18 points, 2.25 points per game).
- Real Colorado’s U-17/18 team had two significant wins to move up the Frontier Division standings with 2-1 come-from-behind victories against Solar Chelsea SC and FC Dallas. Real Colorado rallied from a one-goal deficit against Solar Chelsea SC with a 78th-minute equalizer from David Boldt and an 89th-minute game-winner from Nick DePuy. Real Colorado also trailed 1-0 early in the second half against FC Dallas before Luan Silva (55th minute) and DePuy (70th minute) rallied the team to a 5-2-1 record and second place in the division at two points per game and 16 points overall.
- Players Development Academy’s U-17/18 team overcame an early deficit and Alec Neumann scored an 85th-minute game-winner for a 2-1 victory against McLean Youth Soccer on Saturday. PDA’s Max Kroschwitz scored an equalizer in the 27th minute, just three minutes after McLean’s Matthew Ledder tallied the game’s first goal. PDA is 5-0-0 with 15 points in the Atlantic Division (three points per game)
- Mawolo Gissie scored four goals as the New England Revolution U-15/16 team shut out Met Oval 6-0 on Sunday. Justin Freitas and Michael Faria added goals as the Revolution earned its first victory of the season in three tries.
Week 8 Player of the Week: Brock Dudley, Midfielder, Solar Chelsea SC
Brock Dudley scored the game-winning goal against Real Colorado last Saturday and he helped Solar Chelsea SC sweep its weekend set with a 3-0 victory against the Colorado Rush on Sunday. Solar Chelsea has won its past three games – all shutouts – and is near the top of the Frontier Division standings with a 5-1-1 record, 16 points and 2.29 points per game.
Referee of the Week: Eric Tattersall
Eric Tattersall earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between Crew Soccer Academy and St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro. The Grade 6 referee works in the Pennsylvania-West region and lives in Ohio. He attended the 2011 Spring Showcase and worked USL PRO games this past summer.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- LA Galaxy’s Jack McBean Scores on Three Fronts – Soccer America
- Academy Recap: Sporting Kansas City U-17/18s Win 6th Straight – Top Drawer Soccer
- Perez’s Brilliance Sets Tone for U-15 Boys’ National Team – Top Drawer Soccer
- Houston Dynamo’s Bruin Scores Twice in Playoff Win – mlssoccer.com
- FC Dallas, Real Colorado Academy Teams Split – fcdallas.com
- FC Milwaukee Rallies Past Indiana Fire – Wisconsin Soccer Central
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program