U.S. Men Set to Face Martinique in Gold Cup Group Play
Jul 14, 2003
July 14, 2003
U.S. NEEDS ONLY A DRAW TO ADVANCE IN FIRST-EVER MEETING WITH MARTINIQUE
The U.S. MNT needs only a draw to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2003 Gold Cup when it takes on Martinique tonight at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on Galavision. Fans can follow the action live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics. In the first match of tonight's double-header, Canada can also move out of their group with a point against Cuba. Kickoff for that match is set for 6:30 p.m. ET
- With the victory against El Salvador, the U.S. increased its lifetime record in Gold Cup group play to 15-0-0, including nine shutouts
- Holding 31 career shutouts in 63 appearances for the MNT, Keller is one shy of the all-time U.S. mark set by Tony Meola. Should he keep a clean sheet tonight, Keller will have recorded shutouts in 50 percent of his games with the national team, accomplishing the feat in 35 fewer games than Meola.
- Keller is enjoying a remarkable unbeaten run on home soil, amassing a 16-0-4 record in matches played in the United States since 1998. Keller is second on the USA’s all-time goalkeeping list for victories (33)
- Eddie Lewis’ game-winning goal punctuated his 50th appearance for the United States. Lewis now has tallied five career goals for the MNT, with two of those finishes coming in 2003
- Frankie Hejduk is next up to hit the half-century mark. The two-time World Cup veteran has 49 caps for the MNT, and played every minute in the USA’s Gold Cup winning run last year
- Brian McBride’s goal insurance goal against El Salvador moved him into a tie for third place on the all-time list U.S. scoring list. With 21 goals, McBride is tied with Bruce Murray and will now chase leaders Eric Wynalda (34) and Joe-Max Moore (24)
- Against El Salvador, long time U.S. captain Claudio Reyna made his first appearance in the starting XI for the United States since the 2002 World Cup. Reyna suffered a torn ACL on Oct. 26, 2002, and was able to turn in 60 solid minutes in his first outing before being replaced by Clint Mathis
- New England Revolution Steve Ralston has one goal and one assist in four appearances for the MNT in 2003. He scored his first career international goal in the 4-0 win against Canada on Jan. 18 in Ft. Lauderdale
- Brown University alum Cory Gibbs made his debut for the MNT, recording three starts and four total appearances. The 23-year old defender has played both as a left back and a central defender for the U.S.
- Bobby Convey is the only U.S. player to appear in all 12 of the team’s matches in 2003. Making eight starts, Convey has logged two assists in 704 minutes of action
- The United States will wear an all-blue strip tonight for the first time in the current uniforms, which were debuted in 2002 prior to the World Cup
on the field for USA
July 12, 2003 – Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Mass. – 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Group C
United States 2 Eddie Lewis 28’, Brian McBride 76’
El Salvador 0
USA (4-4-2): -18-Kasey Keller; 3-Greg Vanney, 4-Carlos Bocanegra, 12-Danny Califf, 2-Frankie Hejduk; 25-Pablo Mastroeni, 10-Claudio Reyna (Capt.) (11-Clint Mathis, 60), 7-Eddie Lewis (15-Bobby Convey, 83), 8-Earnie Stewart (19-Steve Ralston, 71); 21-Landon Donovan, 20-Brian McBride.
SLV (3-4-3): 22-Juan Gomez (capt.); 5-Victor Velasquez, 3-Marvin Gonzalez (4-Julio Castro, 90), 19-Alfredo Pacheco; 18-Gilberto Murgas, 2-William Torres, 24-Guillermo Moran, 11-William Torres Alegria (7-Ramon Sanchez, 44); 14-Rudis Corrales, 12-Juan Campos (8-Santos Cabrera, 74), 9-Diego Mejia.
on the field for Martinique:
June 24, 2003 – Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, Trinidad - Friendly
TRI U-23’s 3 Lyndon Diaz 76’, Andre Touissant 90’, Kendall Davis 90’+
TRI U-23: Jan Micheal Williams – Kenwyne Jones (69: Corey Rivers), Lyndon Diaz, Ronald Primus, Michael Celestine (46: Kevon Clement), Nigel Daniel (67: Hollis Brown), Josh Johnson, Silvio Spann, Kendall Davis, Kerry Baptiste (61: Devon Mitchell), Conrod Smith (54: Andre Toussaint).
MQE: Jean Francis Go – Ludovic Mirande, Judes Vaton, Jean Victor Lavril, Willy Padoly, Roberto Cinna (82: Earlston Edmee), Steve Riskwait, (46: Jean Michel Michaud) Miguel Duragrin, Jose Goron (81: David Bastel), Gael Germany, Yann Girier-Dufournier (61: William Anin).
ONALFO BREAKS DOWN MARTINIQUE
U.S. assistant coach Curt Onalfo provided the scouting report on the tiny French department of Martinique in advance of tonight's Gold Cup matchup. Onalfo, who is responsible for the MNT's video editing, talks about Martinique's strengths and weaknesses, key players, and what to expect when they take the field tonight ...
CONCACAF GOLD CUP FACT
With the shutout against El Salvador, U.S. goalkeeper Kasey Keller has now recorded five consecutive shutouts in Gold Cup play, a streak of 532 minutes. The last time the USA gave up a goal during the event was at the 38th minute of the first half in the 2-1 victory against Korea Republic on January 19, 2002
News Apr 10, 2014