The U.S. Men’s National Team has kept the party going since its 4-3 victory against Germany on June 2 – U.S. Soccer’s Centennial Celebration Match, which was held at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.
That game marked the start of a record-breaking run that has now led the USA to the final of the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Panama on Sunday, July 28, against Panama at Soldier Field in Chicago.
As the USA shoots for its fifth straight Gold Cup crown, here are some interesting numbers and trends by the team over this stretch:
- Altidore fuels start: Jozy Altidore scored one goal in each of the first four games of this winning streak.
- Donovan’s stellar return: Landon Donovan has scored seven goals and assisted seven others during this winning streak to lead the team in both categories in 2013. The seven assists tie for second-best in Donovan’s career, and the seven goals rank second only to his record-setting 10-goal performance in 2009. Donovan also has a chance with his next goal or assist to tie a career high for goals/assist production – he was involved in 15 goals (10 goals, 5 assists) in 2009, and he sits at 14 (7 goals, 7 assists) for 2013. Donovan now has 56 career goals and 56 career assists, comfortably holding the all-time record in each category.
- Wondolowski heats up: Entering the year with eight caps and zero goals to his name, Chris Wondolowski proved that his heavy MLS scoring arsenal is no fluke. During the streak he has scored six goals, including a first-half hat trick during the USA’s 6-1 win against Belize on July 9.
- 3.4 per game: That is the USA’s scoring average during the winning streak as the team has outscored its opponents by an impressive 34-8 margin. Thirteen different players have scored a goal during this stretch.
- Four clean sheets: The U.S. blanked Panama 2-0 on June 11, shut out Honduras 1-0 on June 18, garnered its most lopsided victory of the year with a 6-0 win against Guatemala on July 5, and topped Costa Rica 1-0 on July 16.
- Staying ahead: During this winning streak, the U.S. MNT has trailed for less than 10 minutes of regulation time. Its only deficit came when Cuba scored a 36th-minute goal to take a 1-0 lead on July 13. Donovan found the equalizer with a first-half stoppage time penalty kick and the USA would score three second-half goals en route to a 4-1 victory.
- First career goals: Four U.S. MNT players will fondly look back on this run when they notched their first career tallies. This group includes Alejandro Bedoya (1), Joe Corona (2), Brek Shea (1) and Wondolowski (6).
U.S. Soccer and Nike have unveiled the new 2017 U.S. National Team kit, featuring a bold red color palette with the lightweight mobility and engineered breathability of Nike AeroSwift technology.
The U.S. Women’s National Team will introduce the kit at the 2017 SheBelieves Cup taking place from March 1-7, and the Men’s National Team will first don the new uniform on March 24 in its critical World Cup qualifying match against Honduras in San Jose, California.Read more