Across the Academy - June 7
U.S. U-20 MNT Looks to Rebound in Uruguay Rematch: The U.S. Under-20 Menâ€™s National Team fell 4-2 to Uruguay on Wednesday, June 6, in an international friendly and hopes to rebound in the rematch on Friday, June 8. The team is currently in Montevideo, Uruguay, before traveling to Chile for a match on Tuesday, June 12. On Wednesday, the Chicago Fire Academy product, Victor Pineda, had a goal and assisted on a stoppage-time goal from FC Dallasâ€™ Daniel Garcia.
Red Bulls Set for Two Derbies: The New York Red Bulls have a pair of derbies this weekend when they face Albertson SC on Saturday and FC Westchester on Sunday. The New York Red Bulls U-17/18 team leads the Liberty Division by a point over Players Development Academy, with Albertson SC and FC Westchester still in the mix at third and fourth place, respectively. With PDAâ€™s clinching an automatic playoff qualification in the U-15/16 age group, the race for second place is still very much alive for the second-place Albertson SC and fifth-place Red Bulls.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouriâ€™s U-15/16 team moved into first place in the Frontier Division following a 4-2 victory against the Colorado Rush on Sunday. Samuel Newmanâ€™s 62nd-minute goal was all SLSG Missouri needed for a 3-1 score. SLSG Missouri is one point ahead of Shattuck Saint Maryâ€™s Soccer Academy with 24 points and an 8-4-0 division record.
- Although idle this past weekend, Shattuck Saint Maryâ€™s Soccer Academy U-17/18 team qualified for the Academy Playoffs. The Frontier Division leader at 8-1-2 and 26 points has a six-point lead over the Colorado Rapids and has played in two less games than the second-place team.
- The New York Red Bulls swept the NY Cosmos Academy, with the U-15/16 team posting a 2-0 shutout victory and the U-17/18 group earning a 4-1 win. Brandon Allenâ€™s three-goal effort helped the U-17/18 team move up two spots into first place in the Liberty Division. Amando Moreno and Alex Muyl scored goals in the 75th and 78th minutes, respectively, to lead the New York Red Bulls U-15/16 team past the Cosmos.
- Led by Yannick Ntone Kouoâ€™s and Kazari Troughtâ€™s hat tricks, the Players Development Academy U-15/16 team qualified for the Development Academy playoffs following a 10-0 rout against Met Oval last Saturday. PDA is now averaging more than four goals per game and sits atop the Liberty Division at 6-0-1.
- The Charlotte Soccer Academy U-15/16 team posted wins against McLean Youth Soccer and the Richmond Strikers to move into first place in the Atlantic Division and also clinch a spot in the Academy Playoffs. Charlotte Soccer Academy is 9-2-3 in the division.
- Two other Academy Playoff teams were determined in the conference last weekend, including CASL Chelsea FC Academyâ€™s U-15/16 team. CASL shut out the Virginia Rush 5-0 last Sunday as Evan Deycaza scored three goals in a 20-minute span to help the team improve to 9-0-2 in the Atlantic Division. Also joining the postseason is the Southeast Divisionâ€™s South Carolina United Battery U-15/16 team. The team was idle this past weekend and holds a 9-1-2 record and six-point lead over Weston in the division.
- The LA Galaxy swept its weekend matches against Nomads SC, both capturing the SoCal Division in the process. The U-15/16 team took the division three points ahead of Real Salt Lake AZ as Chris Costantini and Steve Martinez scored goals. The LA Galaxy U-17/18 team edged Chivas USA by one point to win the SoCal Division with a 12-3-1 record and 37 points. Justin Dhillon had two goals for the LA Galaxy in its 5-0 win against Nomads.
Week 37 Player of the Week: Ethan Sonis, Midfielder, Kendall SC
Ethan Sonis played up with the Kendall SC U-17/18 team and played the full 90 minutes during the teamâ€™s game against Weston last Sunday. Sonis has featured with the U-17/18 team on eight occasions this season. In total among the two age groups, Sonis has appeared in 11 games with nine starts.
Referee of the Week: Ernie Constantine
Ernie Constantine earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekendâ€™s U-17/18 match between Albertson SC and the New England Revolution. The 23-year-old referee from east New York has worked 20 Development Academy matches in the past two years. He also has worked USL PRO, W-League and PDL matches.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Rowe Provides Spark for Revolution: New England Revolution rookie and Development Academy product Kelyn Rowe (Crossfire Premier) came off the bench and scored the eventual game-winning goal and assisted an insurance goal during the teamâ€™s 2-0 victory against the Chicago Fire in MLS play at Gillette Stadium last Saturday.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Shattuck St. Maryâ€™s Soccer Academyâ€™s Lucas Stauffer on U.S. Futsal Roster in Guatemala â€“ ussoccer.com
- Danny Barrera, Academy Alumni Helping Cal FCâ€™s Run in U.S. Open Cup â€“ The YNT Blog
- LA Galaxy Academy Completes â€˜Worst-to-Firstâ€™ Season â€“ ESPN RISE
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams go 3-0-1 in Weekend Play â€“ Chicago-Fire.com
- Revolution Academy Travels to N.Y., Goes 2-1-1 â€“ RevolutionSoccer.net
- Development Academy Recap â€“ ESPN RISE