MNT in 2005
Think you know your soccer trivia? We’ll be the judge of that. Pop quiz: who the heck is Jack Marshall? Even the trivia buffs at the National Soccer Hall of Fame would be hard-pressed to tell you that Jack Marshall received his one and only cap way back in 1926. Okay, that was pretty much impossible. They get easier.
The U.S. Men are tired. They’ve battled through qualifying, won a Gold Cup and traveled more than they’d like to remember. It may have been a long year, but it was a goodie. Lets see what you remember about 2005.
1. While Landon Donovan led the team in scoring with six goals and six assists, two other players had both multiple goals and multiple assists. No guesses? Just "wing" it.
2. Eight players earned the right to represent the U.S. as captain in 2005. Which player wore it most often?
3. The U.S. set a team record with 13 wins in 2005. Ten different players scored game-winning goals, and Canada gifted us one with an own goal in the Gold Cup. Only two players scored more than one game winner. Who were they?
4. There were six players who scored their first MNT goal in 2005. Who were they?
National Soccer Hall of Fame Bonus question:
5. How many players from the USA's 2002 World Cup roster scored a goal for the U.S. in 2005? How many earned a cap?
1. DaMarcus Beasley (4g, 4a), Steve Ralston (2g, 3a)
2. Kasey Keller - 7 times (Mastroeni & Reyna each wore it three times)
3. Landon Donovan & Eddie Johnson
4. Kyle Martino, Taylor Twellman, Clint Dempsey, Chad Marshall, Pat Noonan, Oguchi Onyewu
5. 7 (Beasley, Donovan, Lewis, Mathis, McBride, O'Brien, Wolff) & 15 (add Berhalter, Cherundolo, Hejduk, Keller, Mastroeni, Pope, Reyna, Sanneh)