U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team
Training Camp Update
June 22, 2007
PREPARED FOR CHILE: After almost a full week of training and competing against each other at the Professional Development Academy in Zarapeth, N.J., the Under-20 Men’s National Team is prepared to face Chile on Saturday, June 23 at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. (tickets). Kickoff time for the game is 2:15 p.m. ET, and fans can follow the game live on ussoccer.com’s MatchAccess.
BRADLEY JOINS U-20s: After the events of Thursday night’s Gold Cup semifinal against Canada, Michael Bradley will leave the senior team a few days early and join the Under-20s this evening. Bradley helped the senior team earn a berth in the Gold Cup Final, starting four of five games. Bradley will be the final player to join the Under-20 World Cup squad, and will be available to play against Chile tomorrow if needed.
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brian Perk (UCLA), Steve Sandbo (SMU), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (UCLA), Amaechi Igwe (New England Revolution), Ofori Sarkodie (Indiana University), Nathan Sturgis (L.A. Galaxy), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Freddy Adu (Real Salt Lake), Bryan Arguez (D.C. United), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Dax McCarty (F.C. Dallas), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew), Anthony Wallace (F.C. Dallas)
FORWARDS (6): Andre Akpan (Harvard), Josmer Altidore (N.Y. Red Bulls), Gabriel Ferrari (Sampdoria), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Johann Smith (Bolton F.C.), Sal Zizzo (UCLA)
JULES’ JOURNAL RETURNS: In addition to ussoccer.com’s daily blog updates, Julian Valentin is back with Jules’ Journal. Jules will provide a player’s perspective on the daily life of training camp, including surviving the heat and what really happens at practice and at the hotel.
ALL_ACCESS WITH THE U-20S: With Studio 90 providing updates from the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, ussoccer.com will provide unprecedented coverage of the team in its campaign to win a world championship. Check out coverage of training camp here in the June 20 edition, including cameo appearances by Johann Smith, who might have a career in front of the camera in his future.
CHILEAN WORLD CUP PREPARATIONS: The Chile Under-20 Men’s National Team is also in the last phase of preparations for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup. Chile was drawn into Group A for the tournament with Canada, Congo and Austria. They open their campaign against the World Cup hosts on July 1 in Toronto, and will then travel to Edmonton where they face Congo before returning to Toronto to take on Austria in the final match of the group stages.
Chile Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Christopher Toselli (U. Católica), Nery Veloso (Huachipato), Ronald Valladares (Fdez. Vial)
DEFENDERS (6): Cristián Suárez (San Felipe) Hans Martínez (U. Católica), Nicolás Larrondo (U. de Chile), Eric Godoy (S. Wanderers), Cristián Sepúlveda (U. Española), Arturo Vidal (Colo Colo)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Mauricio Isla (U. Católica), Gary Medel (U. Católica), Carlos Carmona (Coquimbo), Germany, Isaías Peralta (U. Española), Gerardo Cortés (D. Concepción), Juan Pablo Arenas (Colo Colo), Dagoberto Currimilla (Huachipato)
FORWARDS (5): Nicolás Medina (U. de Chile), Alexis Sánchez (Colo Colo), Mathías Vidangossy (U. Española), Jaime Grondona (S. Wanderers), Michael Silva (S. Wanderers)
FINAL PREPARATIONS: The match for the U.S. against Chile is part of the final preparations for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, which will be held from June 30-July 22 in Canada. The U.S. was drawn into Group D with Korea Republic, Poland and Brazil. This is the sixth straight appearance for the U.S. in the world championship and their 11th overall. The U.S. opens against Korea Republic on June 30, then faces Poland on July 3 and concludes group play on July 6 against four-time U-20 world champions Brazil. The U.S. will play Korea Republic and Poland at The Olympic Stadium in Montreal, before heading to Ottawa to face Brazil at Frank Clair Stadium. Every U.S. match at the U-20 World Cup can be followed live via ussoccer.com's MatchTracker. The 24-team field is divided into six groups of four, with the top two teams from each group and the top four (of six) third-place teams advancing to the Round of 16. The 52-match tournament will take place at six venues in Canada with games in Burnaby, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Victoria. The U.S. will play all their group matches in Montreal and Ottawa on artificial turf. All of the United States’ matches can be seen live on ESPNU, while ESPNU and ESPN360.com will combine to show all 52 games of the tournament.
USA's FIFA U-20 World Cup Schedule - Group D
Date Match-up Venue Kickoff (ET) Television
June 30 Korea Republic vs. USA Montreal 2:15 p.m. ESPNU
July 3 USA vs. Poland Montreal 7:45 p.m. ESPNU
July 6 Brazil vs. USA Ottawa 7:45 p.m. ESPNU
- Since 2006, this group of U.S. U-20s holds an 8-6-3 record in international play. So far in 2007, the U.S. is 4-2-1
- Along with the U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama all qualified from CONCACAF for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup. With Canada as host, CONCACAF has five teams in the tournament
- This is Rongen's second stint as the head coach of the U.S. Under-20s. Rongen also coached the team to the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, guiding them to an impressive fifth place finish
- Andre Akpan leads the team in goals scored in 2007 by scoring his fourth of the year in Sunday’s match
- Michael Bradley and Freddy Adu are the only two players on the team who have caps with the senior national team. Bradley just helped the senior team to the Gold Cup final
- There are 14 players on the roster who play professionally in either Europe or Major League Soccer, more than any other U.S. team in Under-20 World Cup history
- Three players on the roster, Freddy Adu, Nathan Sturgis and Danny Szetela, played in the 2005 edition of the Under-20 World Cup. Adu will become just the second player to ever appear in three Under-20 World Cups, as he was also part of the 2003 squad at age 14
- First-choice goalkeeper Chris Seitz has a goals against average of just 0.60 this year coming into Saturday’s game.