April Referees of the Week: 2012-13 Development Academy Season
Throughout the U.S. Soccer Development Academy season, referees are recognized on a weekly basis for their outstanding performance officiating U-15/16 and U-17/18 matches.
The Development Academy recognized J.T. Alukonis, Keith Angel, Levi Rippy and Matthew Buckman with Referee of the Week during the month of April:
Week 26: Matthew Buckman was the Referee of the Week for his efforts during a U-17/18 match between the San Juan Soccer Club and Cal Odyssey. Buckman is a 32-year-old Grade 4 official from northern California, working in his 43rd Academy match during that weekend. Buckman also was a Referee of the Week during the 2009-10 Development Academy season. He will be working at the 2013 Academy Playoffs. Buckman also has worked PDL, MLS preseason, MLS Reserve and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches.
Week 25: Levi Rippy earned top referee recognition after working a U-17/18 game between the Seattle Sounders and De Anza Force. Rippy is a 32-year-old Grade 4 official from Washington. Through that match, Rippy had worked a total of 23 Academy games over the past two years. Rippy attended the 2011 and 2012 Winter Showcases, the 2012 Academy Playoffs and was invited for the 2013 Academy Playoffs. Rippy also works National Women’s Soccer League, MLS Reserve, PDL, W-League and U.S. Open Cup matches.
Week 24: Keith Angel garnered Referee of the Week for his performance during a U-17/18 match between the Chicago Fire and Minnesota Thunder Academy. Angel is a 34-year-old Grade 5 referee from Illinois, and the Fire-Thunder match was his 27th in the Academy over the past two years. He attended the 2011 Winter Showcase and also works PDL matches.
Week 23: J.T. Alukonis was awarded Referee of the Week for his officiating performance in a match between McLean Youth Soccer U-17/18 and FC DELCO U-17/18. Alukonis is a 29-year-old national referee from D.C./Virginia and has attended the 2008 and 2011 Winter Showcases. This match marked Alukonis' 30th Academy game. He also has worked PDL, W-League and USL PRO games.
2012-13 Development Academy Referees of the Week
- Week 26 (weekend of April 27-28): Matthew Buckman (California – North)
- Week 25 (weekend of April 20-21): Levi Rippy (Washington)
- Week 24 (weekend of April 13-14): Keith Angel (Illinois)
- Week 23 (weekend of April 6-7): J.T. Alukonis (D.C./Virginia)
- Week 22 (weekend of March 23-24): Cesar Ibarra (Illinois)
- Week 21 (weekend of March 16-17): Farhad Dadkho (Oregon)
- Week 20 (weekend of March 9-10): Leszek Stalmach (Texas – North)
- Week 19 (weekend of March 2-3): Guido Gonzalez Jr. (Georgia)
- Week 18 (weekend of Feb. 23-24): Justin Bradford (North Carolina)
- Week 17 (weekend of Feb. 16-17): Midge Van Es (Texas – South)
- Week 16 (weekend of Feb. 9-10): Kyle Longville (Florida)
- Week 15 (weekend of Feb. 2-3): George Kubove (Texas – South)
- Week 14 (weekend of Jan. 26-27): Stefan McHardy (Florida)
- Week 13 (weekend of Jan. 19-20): Michael Zapata (California – North)
- Week 12 (weekend of Dec. 15-16): Cody Gaines (California – South)
- Week 11 (weekend of Nov. 17-18): Turan Ozdemir (California – North)
- Week 10 (weekend of Nov. 10-11): Nima Saghafi (Oklahoma)
- Week 9 (weekend of Nov. 3-4): Vince Apple-Chiarella (California – North)
- Week 8 (weekend of Oct. 27-28): Eric Tattersall (Pennsylvania – West)
- Week 7 (weekend of Oct. 20-21): Esteban Rosano (Florida)
- Week 6 (weekend of Oct. 13-14): Sergio Gonzalez (Maryland)
- Week 5 (weekend of Oct. 6-7): Oscar Rivas (Oregon)
- Week 4 (weekend of Sept. 27-28): Joshua Brooks (Kentucky)
- Week 3 (weekend of Sept. 22-23): Shane Danbeli (California – South)
- Week 2 (weekend of Sept. 15-16): Jordan Shaw (North Carolina)
- Week 1 (weekend of Sept. 8-9): Mohammad Samadpour (Maryland)