Opportunity Knocks: Colorado Rapids’ Quentin Pearson: Center back Quentin Pearson, playing in his third Development Academy season, met with U.S. Soccer for the Opportunity Knocks series. Pearson said he has enjoyed seeing how his talent stacks up against the best players in the country through the Academy Select Game this past winter and during competitive league play.
Opportunity Knocks: Real Colorado’s Jaret Townsend: Midfielder Jaret Townsend, a longtime member of Real Colorado’s youth system, chatted with ussoccer.com on his tenure with the club and how the Academy environment has helped his footwork and speed of play. Townsend hopes this experience will further his play through the National Team ranks and ultimately the professional level.
Yedlin, Hamid, Gil Earn MNT Call-Ups: Former Seattle Sounders FC Academy defender DeAndre Yedlin, D.C. United Academy alum and goalkeeper Bill Hamid, and Real Salt Lake midfielder Luis Gil, a Pateadores alum, were named to U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s 22-player roster on Wednesday. USA-Mexico, presented by AT&T, kicks off at 8 p.m. Arizona Time (11 p.m. ET) on Wednesday, April 2 (ESPN, WatchESPN, UniMas, ESPN Deportes Radio) and serves as a last showcase before final preparation for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of March 21-23):
- West Conference: The LA Galaxy edged Chivas USA’s U-17/18 squad in an exciting local derby, capped off by the Galaxy’s Steve Martinez scoring the game-winner in the 90th minute. Jaime Villarreal had all three of the other Galaxy goals as the team moved to 14-4-2 (2.20 points per game), closely trailing Southwest Division-leading Real Salt Lake AZ (13-1-4, 2.39 points per game).
- Central Conference: Crew Soccer Academy’s U-17/18s, currently in the upper half of the Mid-America Division, earned a pair of victories over the weekend. The Crew topped FC Wisconsin Nationals 4-1 on Saturday, rallying from an early deficit with four goals in a 27-minute span. Hunter Robertson tallied the equalizer and go-ahead goals. The next day, Ben Swanson had the lone goal during Crew Soccer Academy’s 1-0 victory against Sockers FC. The Crew is fifth in the division at 9-6-3 and 1.67 points per game. … Elsewhere in the conference, Juan Flores of the Houston Dynamo U-15/16s had a big weekend with four goals, tallying once in a 2-1 victory against the Colorado Rush on Saturday, followed by a hat trick during Houston’s 4-4 draw against Real Colorado on Sunday.
- East Conference: Southeast Division leader Kendall SC extended its unbeaten streak to nine games, earning a draw and victory over the weekend. Kendall opened with a 2-2 draw against Orlando City on Saturday. Two minutes after surrendering a goal, Andree Costa and Alexander Moztarzadeh scored back-to-back for Kendall in the 41st and 43rd minutes. On Sunday, Kendall again came back from a first-half deficit with Moztarzadeh providing the equalizer and Truman Gelnovatch the game-winner in the 62nd minute. Kendall SC holds a slim first-place lead in the division at 17-4-4 (2.20 points per game) ahead of Weston FC (16-5-4, 2.08 points per game).
- Player of the Week: Midfielder Tanner Roberts of the Carolina Rapids U-17/18 squad was named Academy Player of the Week during the March 15-16 weekend. Roberts scored two goals during the Rapids’ 4-1 win against the Capital Area RailHawks-CASL on March 15. Roberts is the Academy U-17/18 leading goal scorer with 19 tallies this season.
- Referee of the Week: Adam Brugman, a 29-year-old Grade 4 referee from California-South, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Chivas USA and host Nomads SC on March 15. Brugman has been working Academy matches since 2008. Additionally duties have included international matches at the U-18 level in 2008 and a Peru-El Salvador game in 2009. Other duties to Brugman’s name have included MLS preseason and Reserve League, and the PDL and W-League.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Trapp and Shipp Assists, Fernandes Goal Highlight Week 3 in MLS: Former Crew Soccer Academy midfielder Wil Trapp assisted the game-winning goal to lead the Columbus Crew to its first 2-0-0 start to a Major League Soccer season. In that match, BW Gottschee product Leo Fernandes scored his first MLS goal for the Philadelphia Union. Meanwhile, Chicago Fire Academy and Chicago Magic PSG alum Harry Shipp assisted the Fire’s lone goal for a 1-1 draw against the New York Red Bulls.
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Colorado Rapids’ Quentin Pearson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Colorado’s Jaret Townsend
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s Jonathan Navarro
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Players Development Academy’s Josh Burnett
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Fire’s Sebastian Padua
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Elijah Rice
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Concorde Fire’s Dembakwi Yomba
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Mukwelle Akale
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Jackson Yueill
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Crew Soccer Academy’s Ben Swanson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Christian Herrera
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The March 29-30 weekend includes the busiest slate of games for the 2014 portion of the schedule to date. A total of 117 matches are scheduled, with a combined 78 games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 39 fixtures at the U-13/14 level.
- Chicago Fire: Original Homegrown Victor Pineda Makes Fire Debut
- D.C. United: Academy Teams Go Unbeaten Against Rival Baltimore Bays Chelsea
- LA Galaxy: Academy Teams Sweep Chivas USA
- New England Revolution: Academy Goes 2-1-0 Against FC Bolts Celtic
- Philadelphia Union: Academy Teams Earn Three Wins Against PA Classics
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- mlssoccer.com: Philadelphia Union’s Leo Fernandes Turning Heads After Strong Start