U.S. U-20 WNT Advances to Quarterfinals of U-20 Women's World Cup with 3-0 Victory Against China PR
Lindsey Horan Scores Twice, Assists Rose Lavelle Goal as USA Earns Second Place in Group B; U.S. to Face Group A Winner on Saturday, Aug. 16, at 5 p.m. ET in Toronto, Live on ESPN3
MONCTON, Canada (Aug. 12, 2014) – Lindsey Horan recorded a first-half brace and assisted a Rose Lavelle tally as the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team defeated China PR 3-0 to earn second place in Group B and advance to the quarterfinal stage of the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup at Moncton Stadium.
The USA wraps up the group stage with a 2-1-0 record (6 points) and a second place finish. In Tuesday’s other Group B finale, Germany defeated Brazil 5-1 to maintain first place in the group with a 2-0-1 record (7 points).
The USA will now face the Group A winner on Saturday, Aug. 16, with a 5 p.m. ET kickoff at National Stadium in Toronto (ESPN3). Heading into Tuesday night’s Group A matches, Korea DPR was leading the group at 2-0-0 (6 points), followed by Canada and Ghana at 1-1-0 (3 points). Canada enters the day with an advantage over Ghana in goal differential.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Lindsey Horan (Makenzy Doniak), 19th minute: Shortly after China PR’s defense escaped damage one minute earlier, the USA took control of the match thanks to leading U-20 goal scorer Lindsey Horan. Makenzy Doniak crossed from the right side against a China defense that was on its heels, finding Horan around eight yards out in the middle of the box. Horan fired top-shelf over China goalkeeper Lu Feifei’s right glove and rattled the crossbar. The ball ricocheted down and crossed a foot or two over the line, bouncing back onto the field of play. The officiating staff was right on top of the play and correctly awarded the goal to Horan. USA 1, CHN 0
USA – Lindsey Horan (unassisted), 38th minute: The U.S. capitalized on a set piece chance with Rose Lavelle providing a well-struck corner kick from the right side toward the center of the box. Savannah Jordan rose up and might have clipped the ball with her head. China’s Lyu Siqi and Zhong Xiudong both had an opportunity to clear, but the defense was unable to do so and Lindsey Horan was at the right place at the right time. Horan slotted her shot into the lower right side of the frame for the unassisted tally and a two-goal cushion heading into halftime. USA 2, CHN 0
USA – Rose Lavelle (Lindsey Horan), 49th minute: The USA had a confident buildup to put the match out of reach, starting with Rose Lavelle in the midfield. She distributed to Lindsey Horan on the right side as the U.S. had numbers against China’s defense. Horan dribbled into the right side of the box and crossed to Lavelle up top. Lavelle cut to her right foot to create some space against China defender Zhong Xiudong and shot to the inside of the left of the goal. It was Lavelle’s first international goal at the U-20 level and Horan’s first assist of the tournament. USA 3, CHN 0 (FINAL)
Key Saves and Defensive Stops:
CHN – Zhu Beiyan, 16th minute: The USA came inches away from scoring the game’s first goal with a buildup down the left side that led to a Savannah Jordan shot inside the box. Jordan’s attempt was blocked by China PR’s defense, and Mallory Pugh had another crack for the U.S. inside the six-yard box. China’s Zhu Beiyan bailed out her squad with a clearance at the end line that bounced off of the left post and out of harm’s way for the time being.
Next on the Schedule:
The U.S. U-20 WNT will face the Group A winner to open the quarterfinal stage at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, Aug. 16, at National Stadium in Toronto.
Broadcast information: ESPN3
Social: Twitter (@ussoccer_wnt | @ussoccer_esp); Facebook; Instagram
- The USA is now 11-1-0 in international competition this year.
- The U.S. U-20s have allowed only four goals in international play this year, outscoring their opponents 44-4.
- Lindsey Horan scored her team-leading second and third goals of the tournament. She now has 10 goals in international competition this year.
- For her U.S. U-20 WNT tenure, Horan has now scored 23 goals in 24 international matches.
- Rose Lavelle notched her first goal of the year in 10 international games.
- U.S. U-20 WNT head coach Michelle French’s starting lineup featured Katelyn Rowland returning for a third straight start in goal. The defense was anchored by right back Stephanie Amack, left back Christina Gibbons on the left, and the center back duo of Katie Naughton and team captain Cari Roccaro.
- The center of the 4-3-3 formation included Lavelle, Andi Sullivan and Horan as an attacking midfielder.
- Makenzy Doniak, Savannah Jordan and Mallory Pugh represented the front line from right to left.
- The USA made its first substitution at the start of the second half with Margaret “Midge” Purce replacing Jordan in the 46th minute.
- Carlyn Baldwin made her second appearance of the tournament, replacing Sullivan in the 62nd minute.
- The U.S. utilized its final sub in the 69th minute. Summer Green made her third straight second-half appearance of the tournament, entering for Doniak.
- China PR made all three of its substitutions by the 61st minute.
-U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team Match Report-
U.S. U-20 Women’s National Team vs. China PR
Date: Aug. 12, 2014
Competition: 2014 FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup – Group B
Venue: Moncton Stadium; Moncton, Canada
Kickoff: 5 p.m. local / 4 p.m. ET
Weather: 73 degrees – sunny, warm
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 2 1 3
CHN 0 0 0
USA – Lindsey Horan (Makenzy Doniak) 19th minute
USA – Lindsey Horan 38
USA – Rose Lavelle (Lindsey Horan) 49
USA: 1-Katelyn Rowland; 16-Stephanie Amack, 3-Cari Roccaro (capt.), 20-Katie Naughton, 2-Christina Gibbons; 5-Rose Lavelle, 17-Andi Sullivan (13-Carlyn Baldwin, 62), 10-Lindsey Horan; 9-Makenzy Doniak (8-Summer Green, 69), 7-Savannah Jordan (15-Margaret Purce, 46), 12-Mallory Pugh
Subs Not Used: 4-Brittany Basinger, 6-Taylor Racioppi, 11-Rachel Hill, 14-Nickolette Driesse, 18-Jane Campbell, 19-Kaleigh Riehl, 21-Rose Chandler
Head Coach: Michelle French
1-Lu Feifei; 2-Yao Lingwei, 3-Zhong Xiudong, 5-Lyu Siqi, 13-Li Mengwen; 6-Lei Jiahui (15-Shi Tianlun, 61), 7-Liu Yanqiu (11-Zhang Zhu, 55), 10-Tang Jiali,
14-Tan Ruyin, 17-Zhu Beiyan (capt.); 19-Xiao Yuyi (18-Wang Shuang, 42)
Subs Not Used: 4-Zhao Yingying, 8-Dong Jiabao, 9-Zhang Chen, 12-Li Xiang, 16-Zhao Xinzhai, 20-Li Mengyu, 21-Nan Yang
Head Coach: Wang Jun
Stats Summary: USA / CHN
Shots: 20 / 5
Shots on Goal: 13 / 2
Saves: 2 / 9
Corner Kicks: 5 / 2
Fouls: 4 / 10
Offside: 1 / 0
Referee: Katalin Kulcsar (HUN)
Assistant Referee 1: Lucie Ratajova (CZE)
Assistant Referee 2: Chrysoula Kourompylia (GRE)
Fourth Official: Therese Sagno (GUI)
ussoccer.com Woman of the Match: Lindsey Horan