AUCKLAND, New Zealand (June 2, 2015) – The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team rolled to a second straight Group A victory at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, shutting out tournament host New Zealand 4-0 at North Harbor Stadium in Auckland.
The USA got on the board early in the first half with a goal from Bradford Jamieson following a set-piece play. U.S. captain Emerson Hyndman followed with his second goal of the tournament in the first half to send the Red, White and Blue into the half with a 2-0 lead. Midfielder Paul Arriola added a third tally for the U.S. in the second half and Rubio Rubin scored a few minutes later, as the U.S. defense held firm to record its first shutout in a U-20 World Cup match since June 18, 2005, when it blanked Egypt, 1-0.
With the second consecutive victory, the USA (2-0-0; 6 points) is in first place in Group A ahead of its final group match with Ukraine on June 5. Ukraine (1-0-1; 4 points) defeated Myanmar earlier in the day 6-0, after tying New Zealand in its opening game on May 30. The U.S. needs a tie or win against the Easter Europeans to finish first in the group. No matter the result however, the USA has secured advancement to the Round of 16 as even with a loss, they would still finish as one of the top two teams in Group A.
With his score, Hyndman tied Maki Tall with three goals for the USA in 2015, a leading mark among players on the U.S. World Cup roster; Rubin and Arriola each have two so far this year. The USA outshot New Zealand 30-11 in tonight’s match.
Next, the U.S. will conclude Group A play against Ukraine on June 5 at QBE Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand. Kickoff is set for 3 a.m. ET on FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports Go and NBC Universo. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt and @ussoccer_esp.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Bradford Jamieson IV, 6th minute: Emerson Hyndman took a corner for the USA and sent a cross to the middle of the box. After the ball was headed down into play, Bradford Jamieson IV got it on the right side of the net and sent quick shot across the goalmouth into the far side netting. Rubio Rubin was in front of the net at that point and made sure Jamieson’s cross went in. USA 1, NZL 0
USA – Emerson Hyndman, 34th minute: After Bradford Jamieson IV brought down a ball sent high past midfield, Rubio Rubin received it and controlled it just outside to box. Rubin tried to maneuver through the box but a New Zealand defender was able to block his shot. Emerson Hyndman was right behind however, and with the ‘keeper already out of position and outside the goal, Hyndman ran forward and sent a first-time shot with his right foot through the ‘keeper’s extended arms and towards the far side netting for the second score of the match. USA 2, NZL 0
USA – Paul Arriola (Gedion Zelalem), 58th minute: Gedion Zelalem played the ball into the attacking zone, moving from left to right outside the 18-yard box while evading several defenders. Zelalem found Paul Arriola on the right side, passing him the ball and allowing Arriola to take it into the box and shoot a right-footed bullet that rebounded off the left post towards the right over the goal line, giving the U.S. its third tally on the game. USA 3, NZL 0
USA – Rubio Rubin (Desevio Payne), 83rd minute: Second-half sub Tommy Thompson played the ball outside the right side of the box and controlled it until Desevio Payne came into the area, passing him the ball. From the right side, Payne found Rubio Rubin entering the box with a strong run and sent him a perfect cross which Rubin received and tapped right into the back of the net for his second tally of the match and fourth of the game. USA 4, NZL 0 (FINAL)
Key Saves and Defensive Stops:
USA – Paul Arriola, 41st minute: New Zealand’s best chance to get on the board came late in the first half after a corner. A perfect cross into the box looked to create a chance when U.S. midfielder Paul Arriola jumped above everyone and headed it out of bounds for another New Zealand corner, preserving the U.S. first half shutout.
USA – Zack Steffen, 81st minute: Noah Billingsley sent a long-range shot from outside the box towards the USA goal. Goalkeeper Zack Steffen did not panic however, and threw himself to the left side, batting out the ball with his outstretched left arm to give New Zealand a corner kick.
NZL – Oliver Sail, 86th minute: Minutes after coming into the game, U.S. sub John Requejo ran past two defenders on the left side of the box towards the goal. New Zealand’s goalkeeper Oliver Sail however was alert and blocked the shot to avoid any further damage.
Next on the Schedule: The U.S. U-20 MNT will finish up Group A play at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup on Friday, June 5, against Ukraine. Kickoff is set for 3 a.m. ET at North Harbor Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand.
Broadcast information: FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports Go, NBC Universo
Social: Twitter @ussoccer_ynt; @ussoccer_esp
- The game represented the first time in 14 U-20 World Cups/Youth Championships that the USA has won its first two matches of the tournament.
- After its first two matches of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, the USA has now scored six goals, the second most goals scored after two games in U.S. U-20 World Cup history (seven in 2007, six in 1993).
- Midfielder Emerson Hyndman scored his second goal of the U-20 World Cup. He has scored in consecutive games, also scoring the game-winning goal against Myanmar on May 30. It was his third international goal with the U-20s, all coming in 2015.
- Hyndman is the first U.S. player to score in consecutive U-20 World Cup games since Jozy Altidore did it in 2007.
- Hyndman wore the captain’s armband for the third-straight time. He made his debut as captain against Australia during a friendly on May 19.
- Rubio Rubin and Hydman are the only two players on the roster to have been capped at the senior level under U.S. MNT head coach, Jurgen Klinsmann. Hyndman made his debut during the second half of the U.S. MNT’s 1-0 win against the Czech Republic in September 2014, and Rubin started against then No. 3-ranked Colombia this past November.
- Goalkeeper Zack Steffen recorded his seventh career shutout with the U-20’s.
- Midfielder Gedion Zelalem made his third appearance for the USA and earned his first start. He provided an assist on Paul Arriola’s goal in the second half for his first point in a U.S. uniform.
- Paul Arriola, Desevio Payne, Zelalem and Bradford Jamieson IV were the four changes in Tab Ramos’ starting lineup from the USA-Myanmar matchup.
- The USA’s three substitutions of the game were: Tommy Thompson coming in for Jamieson IV, John Requejo for Rubin and Joel Soñora for Marky Delgado, all coming in the second half.
- Thompson’s appearance was his 19th for the U-20 MNT, which leads all U.S. players on the roster.
- The defense was anchored by Payne, Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers and Kellyn Acosta. Miazga, Carter-Vickers and Acosta also started in the backline for the USA against Myanmar.
- Upon further review, FIFA retroactively awarded Rubin's first goal to Bradford
-U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Match Report-
Match: U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team vs. New Zealand U-20 Men’s National Team
Date: June 2, 2015
Competition: 2015 FIFA Under-20 World Cup New Zealand
Venue: North Harbor Stadium; Auckland, New Zealand
Kickoff: 3:00 a.m. ET
Weather: 56 degrees; Rain
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 2 2 4
NZL 0 0 0
USA – Bradford Jamieson IV 6th minute
USA – Emerson Hyndman 33
USA – Paul Arriola (Gedion Zelalem) 58
USA – Rubio Rubin (Desevio Payne) 83
USA: 1-Zack Steffen; 17-Desevio Payne, 4-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 5-Matt Miazga; 6-Kellyn Acosta; 15-Marky Delgado (Joel Soñora, 87), 8-Emerson Hyndman (capt.), 19-Gedion Zelalem, 7-Paul Arriola; 9-Rubio Rubin (3-John Requejo, 84), 11-Bradford Jamieson IV (13-Tommy Thompson, 62)
Substitutions Not Used: 12-Thomas Olsen, 21-Jeff Caldwell, 2-Shaquell Moore, 16-Conor Donovan, 18-Erik Palmer-Brown, 20-Jordan Allen
Head coach: Tab Ramos
NZL: 1-Oliver Sail; 2-Jesse Edge, 3-Deklan Wynne, 4-Sam Brotherton, 5-Adam Mitchell; 6-Bill Tuiloma (capt.), 7-Joel Stevens (17-Andrew Blake, 62), 8-Moses Dyer, 10-Clayton Lewis; 11-Matthew Ridenton (15-Monty Patterson, 46), 20-Noah Billingsley (19-Stuart Holthusen, 82)
Substitutions Not Used: 12-Nikola Tzanev, 21-Damian Hirst, 9-Alex Rufer, 13-Brock Messenger, 14-Cory Brown, 16-Te Atawhai Hudson-Wihongi, 18-Andre De Jong
Head coach: Darren Bazeley
Stats Summary: USA / NZL
Shots: 30 / 11
Shots on Goal: 11 / 2
Saves: 2 / 7
Corner Kicks: 5 / 9
Fouls: 9 / 10
Offside: 0 / 1
NZL – Clayton Lewis (caution) 21st minute
USA – Matt Miazga (caution) 26
USA – Desevio Payne (caution) 29
NZL – Moses Dyer (caution) 34
Referee: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
Assistant Referee 1: Cebrian Devis (ESP)
Assistant Referee 2: Roberto Diaz Perez (ESP)
Fourth Official: Artur Dias (POR)
ussoccer.com Man of the Match: TBA