U.S. Open Cup Jun 16, 2015
CHICAGO (June 16, 2015) - Following the Fourth Round of the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, the Round of 16 Draw will take place on Thursday, June 18, at Soccer House in Chicago, Illinois. The draw will be shown live at 10 a.m. CT on ussoccer.com.
- The 16 Fourth Round winners will be divided geographically (regardless of league affiliation) into groups of four.
- Due to their shared-ownership affiliation, should both Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) and Seattle Sounders FC 2 (USL) advance to the Round of 16, a preliminary draw will take place to determine the groups these two teams are placed into, as the two teams cannot be in the same group per U.S. Open Cup regulations.
- A random draw will then take place to determine the Round of 16 pairings within each group and the host for each game in the round, which will take place June 30 and July 1.
- As a result of this draw, the possible Quarterfinal matchups on July 21 and 22 will also be known by pairing the Round of 16 winners within each group.
- Round of 16 Draw: The first team drawn in each group will be named the host for both the Round of 16 and the Quarterfinal, should the team reach this stage, and placed into the first position in the bracket for its group (see bracket below; home teams designated with an asterisk).
- In the event that the first team drawn only applied to host its Round of 16 game but not the Quarterfinal, this team will be slotted into the second position.
- If this team applied to host the Quarterfinal Round only, it will be entered into the third place.
- If this team didn’t apply to host either game, it will be dropped into the fourth slot.
- The remaining teams in the group will be placed in the highest position still available at the time they are drawn, depending on which rounds they applied to host.
- A concluding draw will take place to determine the hosts for the all-important Semifinal Round, set for August 11 and 12. Each of the four groups previously mentioned will be paired geographically with another group to pre-determine the Semifinal bracket.
- Should Seattle Sounders FC and Seattle Sounders FC 2 reach the Semifinal Round and be scheduled to face each other, the Semifinal matchups will be switched to avoid this outcome.
- U.S. Soccer will announce the exact dates and times for the Round of 16 games and Quarterfinal possibilities shortly after the draw has concluded.
- The draw to determine the home team for the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final, set for Sept. 29 or 30, will take place prior to the Semifinal Round.