MNT Jul 3, 2015
- Tonight marks the 50th time that Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey will appear in the same match for the MNT.
- Four of Clint Dempsey’s 40 international goals have come against Guatemala.
- The back four of Timmy Chandler, Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks and Fabian Johnson marks the 12th different back four the U.S. has deployed in the team’s 13 matches since last summer’s FIFA World Cup.
- Sporting KC midfielder Graham Zusi makes his first MNT appearance of 2015, having last played in the team’s 1-1 draw with Honduras on Oct. 14, 2014 in Boca Raton, Fla.
- Starting goalkeeper Brad Guzan made his international debut against Guatemala in a 4-0 friendly win on Feb. 19, 2006.
- Making his 99th international appearance, Michael Bradley is the only player to start all eight MNT matches in 2015.
- The United States is 14-4-6 all-time against Guatemala. The MNT is unbeaten in the last 20 games, which is the MNT’s longest streak against any nation and dates back to 1988. Five of the last six games have been wins for the USA.
- All four of the USA’s losses to Guatemala have been on the road in Guatemala City, and three of the four ties were also away from U.S. soil. In the USA, the MNT’s record against Guatemala is 14-0-1. The USA has outscored the Guatemala 39-17.
- The teams’ last meeting was also a Gold Cup tune-up ahead of the 2013 edition of the tournament. On July 5, 2013 in San Diego, California, the U.S. rolled to a 6-0 win. Alejandro Bedoya and Chris Wondolowski each contributed a goal.
- In 2012 the team’s met for a pair CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers. The first took place in June in Guatemala City, where the two tied 1-1. In that game Fabian Johnson assisted Clint Dempsey for the USA’s goal. Guatemala’s Marco Pappa bent in a stunning free kick in the 83rd minute of the game to level it and secure the only point for the Guatemalans against the U.S. in the last eight years. Later that year in October, Dempsey would find the net against Guatemala two more times, notching a brace to lead the U.S. to a 3-1 win. Michael Bradley assisted on Dempsey’s second score.
- Pappa is teammates with Dempsey and Brad Evans at Seattle Sounders FC, while Guatemala defender Elias Enoc Vasquez plays alongside Nick Rimando and Kyle Beckerman at Real Salt Lake.