MNT Mar 29, 2016
#USAvGUA Starting Lineup Notes
- Six of the U.S. starters began Friday’s game in Guatemala: Michael Bradley, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Wood. Gyasi Zardes made a substitute appearance in Friday’s match.
- Steve Birnbaum makes his debut World Cup Qualifying appearance, partnering with Cameron in central defense.
- Along with Birnbaum, Kyle Beckerman and Graham Zusi make their first appearances of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.
- Brad Guzan made his MNT debut in a 4-0 friendly win against Guatemala on February 19, 2006. The Aston Villa net minder holds a perfect 3-0-0 record and has never conceded a goal to los Chapines.
- Guzan is 6-1-2 in nine World Cup Qualifying appearances, earning five clean sheets along the way. Guzan is a perfect 4-0-0 in home World Cup qualifiers.
- With five goals, Dempsey is the USA’s all-time leading scorer against Guatemala. He has tallied four of those in his last four appearances vs. los Chapines.
- With 13 total, Dempsey is tied with Landon Donovan for most World Cup Qualifying goals by a U.S. MNT player.
- Dempsey made his international debut at MAPFRE Stadium, coming on as a substitute for Ramiro Corrales in a 1-1 draw with Jamaica on November 17, 2004.
- Michael Bradley is the only player to score for the U.S. at MAPFRE Stadium, tallying both goals in the MNT’s 2-0 World Cup Qualifying victory against Mexico on February 11, 2009.
- Gyasi Zardes appears in his 10th straight match, the longest-running current appearance streak for the MNT.