USA vs. Venezuela
June 3, 2017
Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Live Broadcast: 10 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision and UDN
Today’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Venezuela: 1-Tim Howard, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 6-John Brooks, 8-Clint Dempsey, 9-Bobby Wood, 10-Christian Pulisic, 15-Darlington Nagbe, 17-Jorge Villafaña, 20-Geoff Cameron, 23-Fabian Johnson
Substitutes: 22-Nick Rimando, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 13-Dax McCarty, 14-Tim Ream, 16-Kellyn Acosta, 18-Jordan Morris, 19-Graham Zusi, 21-Matt Hedges
- Clint Dempsey sits just one goal behind Landon Donovan’s MNT record of 57. Donovan amassed 57 goals in 156 international matches from 2000-2014, while Dempsey has tallied 56 goals in 132 caps since making his debut in 2004. On the cusp of writing his name further into U.S. Soccer lore, Dempsey’s main focus remains helping the MNT qualify for an eighth-straight FIFA World Cup next summer in Russia.
- Making his 133rd international appearance, Dempsey is one game away from tying Jeff Agoos for third on the MNT’s all-time caps list.
- Fabian Johnson, DeAndre Yedlin and Bobby Wood all make their first appearances for the U.S. MNT in 2017. The trio is coming off strong seasons in Europe, with Yedlin helping Newcastle United to the English League Championship title and promotion to the Premier League, while Wood tallied nine goals across all competitions to help Hamburg stay in the Bundesliga. Johnson also recently extended his stay at Borussia Mönchegladbach through 2020.
- Geoff Cameron and John Brooks start in central defense together for the first time since the MNT’s 2-0 win at Cuba on Oct. 7, 2016. Since first being paired together in a 4-3 win at Bosnia-Herzegovina on Aug. 14, 2013, the USA has gone 6-2-0 when the two have started in central defense.
- A week after helping Borussia Dortmund to the DFB-Pokal championship, Christian Pulisic mans central midfield with captain Michael Bradley.
- Bradley made his debut for the MNT against Venezuela when he was an 89th minute substitute for Ben Olsen in a 2-0 win on May 26, 2006. He makes his 131st appearance tonight, and 122nd as a starter.
- With his next assist, Bradley will tie Cobi Jones for second on the MNT’s all-time assist list at 22.
- Three starters have appeared in all four U.S. MNT matches during 2017: Bradley, Darlington Nagbe and Jorge Villafaña.
- After making his international debut via a substitute appearance on Jan. 29 against Serbia, Villafaña starts his fourth-straight match at left back tonight.
- The U.S. MNT is a perfect 4-0-0 all-time in the state of Utah and has gone 3-0-1 in four meetings with Venezuela.