USA vs. Ghana
July 1, 2017
Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field; East Hartford, Conn.
Live Broadcast: 4:45 p.m. ET on ESPN, UniMas and UDN
Today’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Ghana: 1-Brad Guzan (capt.), 2-Jorge Villafaña, 5-Matt Besler, 6-Kelyn Rowe, 10-Joe Corona, 13-Dax McCarty, 14-Dom Dwyer, 19-Graham Zusi, 20-Paul Arriola, 21-Matt Hedges, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Substitutes: 12-Bill Hamid, 22-Sean Johnson, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 4-Matt Miazga, 7-Kenny Saief, 8-Jordan Morris, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 15-Eric Lichaj, 17-Cristian Roldan, 18-Juan Agudelo
- Two players in the U.S. lineup appeared in the 2-1 win against Ghana at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Matt Besler started the match and was replaced by John Brooks at halftime due to injury, while Graham Zusi was a 77th minute substitute and served the game-winning corner kick to Brooks in the 86th minute.
- Midfielder Kelyn Rowe and forward Dom Dwyer will make their U.S. MNT debuts tonight
- Partnering with Besler in central defense, Matt Hedges earns his first start in his third appearance for the U.S. MNT.
- Besler makes his first MNT appearance since Nov. 15, 2016, vs. Costa Rica.
- Left back Jorge Villafaña returns to the lineup after missing last month’s World Cup Qualifier at Mexico due to injury. The start gives the Santos Laguna defender seven appearances in eight matches during 2017, his first year with the Senior Team.
- Partnering with Kellyn Acosta in central midfield, Dax McCarty makes his second appearance of 2017 and first since the USA’s 1-0 win vs. Jamaica on Feb. 5.
- Midfielder Joe Corona earns his first cap since the 2015 Gold Cup Third-Place Match against Panama on July 25, 2015.
- Making his 55th international appearance, goalkeeper Brad Guzan captains the side against Ghana. The veteran net minder last wore the armband in the USA's 1-0 win against South Africa on Nov. 17, 2010.
- Both Corona and Guzan played in the USA’s last match in East Hartford, a 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador on Oct. 10, 2014. The match was Landon Donovan’s final international appearance, with Corona replacing the U.S. MNT legend in the 41st minute.
- Guzan, Kellyn Acosta and Paul Arriola are the three holdovers from the USA’s 1-1 World Cup Qualifying draw at Mexico on June 11. Zusi was also a late substitute in the match.
- The Starting XI has an average of 16.9 caps, almost mirroring the average of the 23-man Gold Cup roster (16.2).
- Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Guzan (55), Zusi (49), Besler (40), Corona (18), Acosta (9), McCarty (7), Villafaña (7), Arriola (6), Hedges (3), Dwyer (1), Rowe (1)