Men’s and Women’s Jerseys Unified with Same Look and Design;
MNT and WNT to Wear New Home Jersey for First Time During Matches in Late May
CHICAGO (April 16, 2012) – U.S. Soccer and Nike unveiled the new home jersey for both the U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Teams. The U.S. Men and Women will debut the latest Nike jersey when they play their next domestic matches in late May.
For the first time, Nike has taken a unified approach with the USA’s home kits, creating jerseys that feature the same design and concept for both teams. The American flag is utilized as the jersey’s inspiration, with a shirt that features horizontal red and white stripes and a blue crew neck collar. There is also a subtle tonal sash echoing the same design on the jerseys worn by the U.S. Men’s National Team when it famously defeated England in the 1950 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
Both kits are visually identical, but the women’s kit is designed specifically for the female athlete to enhance range of motion.
Pre-sale for the U.S. Men’s jersey starts online at 12:01 a.m. ET on Tuesday, April 17, and orders will be shipped starting on April 26. The new jersey will be available for purchase in stores on May 1. The U.S. Women’s jersey will be available starting on July 1.
- Order New Jersey Here (starting at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday, April 17)
The U.S. Men will debut the new kit when they face Scotland on May 26 at EverBank Field in Jacksonville, Fla. The U.S. Women will sport the new look for the first time against China on May 27 at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
The fabric of the new home kits is approximately 23 percent lighter and 20 percent stronger than Nike’s previous models. Made with Dri-FIT technology, the kits help regulate players’ temperatures on the pitch. The shirts feature laser-cut ventilation holes to promote localized cooling where it matters most.
Environmentally, each kit is made using an average of 13 recycled plastic bottles. The new kit’s shorts are made with 100 percent Dri-FIT recycled polyester and the shirt with a minimum 96 percent recycled polyester.
The base layer apparel includes Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong compression slider shorts that feature a padded waist and thigh protection in the most critical areas to provide protection during the rigors of the game. Mesh fabric is placed in heat zones for breathability.
The new home shorts are blue, while the socks – now with improved cushioning for greater comfort, movement and protection – are white with a blue band at the top.
U.S. MNT and WNT Authentic Nike Home Jersey Features
- Body featuring red and white stripes with a blue crew neck collar
- Inside neck of the shirt includes the American Stars and Stripes flag
- Jersey has tonal sash on the front
- Blue shorts, and the socks are white with a blue band at the top
Comfort and Fit
- Fabric is about 23 percent lighter than previous years’ kits
- Embedded with Dri-FIT technology
- Laser-cut ventilation on the shirt
- Double-knit structure and yarns to make kit 20 percent stronger than past designs
- Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong shorts feature padded waist and thigh protection
- Nike Pro Combat Hypercool 2.0 top delivers ventilation and sweat-wicking fabric
- Shorts made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Shirts made with at least 96 percent recycled polyester
- Kit made using an average of 13 recycled plastic bottles
Jersey Availability Timeline
- April 17: Pre-sale for U.S. Men’s jersey starts online at 12:01 a.m. ET
- April 26: Orders will start being shipped
- May 1: New jersey will be available for purchase in stores
- July 1: U.S. Women’s jersey will be available