Two California Clubs Join Academy at Older Age Levels for 2014-15: California-based FC Golden State and Juventus Sport Club will field teams in the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups starting in the 2014-15 Development Academy seasons. Both clubs currently field U-13/14 Academy teams. “Both clubs are located in key areas of Southern and Northern California where there is a strong history of National Team and professional player production,” said U.S. Soccer Director of Scouting Tony Lepore. “As part of the U-13/14 age group this season, both clubs have demonstrated a vision and philosophy consistent with U.S. Soccer Curriculum.”
Four additional clubs will join the U-13/14 age group beginning this fall: Cedar Stars Academy (New Jersey), Lehigh Valley United (Pennsylvania), Prince William Soccer Inc. (Virginia) and EBU Bay Oaks (California).
Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union: U.S. Soccer spoke with Philadelphia Union U-15/16 head coach Jeff Cook, U-17/18 defender Ryan Talbot and U-15/16 midfielder Morgan Hackworth about the team’s 2013-14 season, its first in the Development Academy. They reflect on the commitment the club has had in establishing its youth development philosophy, along with the advantages of increased training and higher-quality competition.
Opportunity Knocks: Lonestar SC’s Orrin McKinze Gaines: Lonestar SC forward and Austin, Texas, native Orrin McKinze Gaines spoke with ussoccer.com for the Opportunity Knocks series. He describes his development at the club and Academy training and competition have helped improve his speed of play, consistency and knowledge of the game.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of March 29-30):
- West Conference: Real So Cal’s U-17/18 team scored two goals in the final 10 minutes to rally for a 2-1 victory against the second-place LA Galaxy in Southwest Division play on Saturday. Colin Hyatt scored an 84th-minute equalizer and Jorge Miranda tallied the game-winner in the 90th minute for Real So Cal (12-5-3, 1.95 points per game), which is third in the division behind first-place Real Salt Lake AZ (15-1-4, 2.45 points per game) and the LA Galaxy (14-5-2, 2.10 points per game).
- Central Conference: In a Mid-American Division local derby, the Chicago Fire defeated Sockers FC at both age groups on Saturday. The Fire U-15/16s answered Sockers FC’s first-half tally with two goals in the second half, including Aldreiron Smith’s game-winner in the 79th minute, for a 2-1 victory. Ben Rhoder scored the equalizer two minutes into the second half. The Chicago Fire U-17/18 team maintained its first-place divisional stance with a 4-0 win that featured a brace from Shannon Seymour. Defensively, the Fire U-17/18s posted their third straight shutout victory to improve to 13-1-4 (2.39 points per game).
- East Conference: PA Classics rallied at both age groups to post a sweep against Continental FC DELCO on Saturday. The PA Classics U-17/18s saw themselves with a two-goal, second-half deficit before scoring four unanswered for a 4-2 victory. Andrew Skundrich scored twice, including the go-ahead goal in the 78th minute, while Andrew Mannon and Armin Efendic also chipped in with a goal apiece. PA Classics’ U-15/16 team rallied from a 1-0 halftime deficit with Connor Rathsam, Jonathan Polan and Robert Pozesky scoring in succession for a 3-1 win to improve to 12-2-2 (2.38 points per game) in first place in the Atlantic Division.
- Player of the Week: Forward Jaime Villarreal of the LA Galaxy U-17/18 team was named Academy Player of the Week during the March 22-23 weekend. Villarreal tallied three goals during the LA Galaxy’s 4-3 local derby victory against Chivas USA on March 22. Villarreal currently has nine goals in 19 games this season.
- Referee of the Week: Paul Berg, a 24-year-old Grade 6 referee from Florida, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Weston FC and South Carolina United Battery on March 22. Berg has been working Academy matches since 2009, in addition to Youth National Team games – the U-17 Women’s National Team in 2010, the U-20 Men’s National Team in 2011 and the U-17 MNT in 2012 and 2013. His resume also includes the likes of the NASL from 2011-13, the 2013 MLS Combine and PDL matches in 2011.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U.S. U-17 and U-18 MNT Rosters Named: U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams has named a 22-player squad for the Josip Katalinski International Tournament, which runs from April 3-6 in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. Seven players on the roster are currently registered with Development Academy clubs. On the home front, U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez has brought in 24 players for a camp from April 4-13 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. The camp includes a pair of friendlies against the U-18 national teams of Canada (April 8) and Mexico (April 12).
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Lonestar SC’s Orrin McKinze Gaines
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Colorado Rapids’ Quentin Pearson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Colorado’s Jaret Townsend
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s Jonathan Navarro
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Players Development Academy’s Josh Burnett
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Fire’s Sebastian Padua
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Elijah Rice
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Concorde Fire’s Dembakwi Yomba
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Mukwelle Akale
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Jackson Yueill
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Crew Soccer Academy’s Ben Swanson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Christian Herrera
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The April 5-6 weekend features 120 scheduled matches, with a combined 76 games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 44 fixtures at the U-13/14 level.
- mlssoccer.com: Wil Trapp Beginning to Show his Potential
- mlssoccer.com: Richie Williams Names 7 MLS Academy Players in Roster for U-17 Tournament
- Colorado Rapids: Rookie Midfielder Jared Watts Shows Versatility in Rapids Debut
- FC Dallas: Homegrown Player Victor Ulloa Impresses in MLS Debut
- American Soccer Now: DeAndre Yedlin Eager for Chance Against Mexico
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-15 BNT Ends Camp with Pair of Wins