Goal: To create a piece of artwork that told the story of Landon Donovan’s career and would have a nostalgic feel to be displayed
Early concept: Team sketched many ideas before agreeing on a fragmented jersey concept.
- Took 19 jerseys from Donovan’s career at U.S. Soccer, cut each jersey apart and mounted them to half-inch wood fragments that were cut using a CNC machine
- Upholstery techniques were used to create the jersey fragments
- Pieces were arranged and mounted to an oak background (oak being the state tree of Connecticut, the final location of Donovan’s National Team career)
- Donovan’s National Team teammates’ names are etched into the oak
- The jersey fragments were mounted to the oak background and illuminated with white LED to create a “halo” effect to illuminate the teammate names and highlight the floating jersey
- The shadow box that encases the jersey installation was built using redwood, California’s state tree and the birthplace of Donovan
End product: A creation that represented Donovan’s jersey from start to finish
The gift was the work of Bird Dog Creative, a premier event design, interior design and custom fabrication firm based in Portland, Oregon.