USA vs. Costa Rica, Presented by Volpi Foods
2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Final Round
Sept. 1, 2017
Red Bull Arena; Harrison, N.J.
Live Broadcast: 6:55 p.m. ET (ESPN, Univision & UDN); Coverage begins at 6:30 p.m. ET
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Costa Rica: 1-Tim Howard, 2-Jorge Villafaña, 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 6-Darlington Nagbe, 9-Bobby Wood, 10-Christian Pulisic, 14-Tim Ream, 17-Jozy Altidore, 19-Graham Zusi, 20-Geoff Cameron, 23-Fabian Johnson
Substitutes: 12-Brad Guzan, 22-Nick Rimando, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 5-Matt Besler, 7-DaMarcus Beasley, 8-Clint Dempsey, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 13-Dax McCarty, 15-Eric Lichaj, 16-Kellyn Acosta, 18-Jordan Morris, 21-Paul Arriola
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Michael Bradley (137), Tim Howard (119), Jozy Altidore (108), Fabian Johnson (57), Geoff Cameron (54), Graham Zusi (54), Bobby Wood (33), Tim Ream (26), Darlington Nagbe (21), Christian Pulisic (17), Jorge Villafaña (12)
- U.S. MNT Starting XI WCQ Cap Numbers (including this match): Jozy Altidore (39), Tim Howard (37), Michael Bradley (36), Geoff Cameron (23), Fabian Johnson (19), Graham Zusi (19), Bobby Wood (11) Christian Pulisic (10), Darlington Nagbe (8), Tim Ream (7), Jorge Villafaña (4)
- The Starting XI features seven players who have made seven or more appearances during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying campaign: Altidore (12), Bradley (11), Wood (10), Cameron (9), Pulisic (9), Howard (7), Johnson (7)
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this game): 58 (overall) and 19 (World Cup Qualifying)
- Altidore, Bradley and Cameron, as well as substitutes Paul Arriola, Alejandro Bedoya, and Matt Besler, are all on caution watch and will serve a one-match suspension with their next yellow card.
- Altidore’s 39th World Cup Qualifying appearance ties him with teammate Clint Dempsey for second on the MNT’s all-time qualifying caps list. The pair sits one behind Landon Donovan (40).
- Full backs Jorge Villafaña and Graham Zusi make their team-leading 12th appearances of 2017.
- This match marks the first time that Geoff Cameron and Tim Ream have paired together in central defense.
- Altidore (8) and Wood (3) have tallied 11 goals in the eight international matches they have started together.
- With six goals in 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying, Altidore leads every region’s still active players in scoring and is second behind only Carlos Ruiz (nine).
- Six players appeared in the 2-0 Gold Cup Semifinal win vs. Los Ticos on July 22: Altidore, Bradley, Howard, Nagbe, Villafaña and Zusi.
- Captaining the U.S. MNT for the 43rd time tonight, Bradley is the lone player to score against Costa Rica in qualifying, tallying the USA’s opening goal in a 2-2 draw with the Ticos on Oct. 14, 2009 in Washington, D.C.
- Both Wood and Zusi tallied in the USA’s 4-0 win vs. Costa Rica in the Copa America Centenario on June 7, 2016 in Chicago.
- Johnson scored his first international goal at Red Bull Arena, coming in the USA’s 2-1 friendly win vs. Turkey on June 1, 2014.
- In order to get the gameday roster down to the required 23, Matt Hedges, Cristian Roldan and Chris Wondolowski will not dress for tonight’s match.
- The USA and Costa Rica have an even 15-15-6 all-time record against each other.
- The MNT is 6-1-2 in home World Cup Qualifiers vs. Los Ticos, with the lone defeat coming in 1985.
- MNT head coach Bruce Arena is 5-3-2 all-time vs. Costa Rica and 3-0-1 in matches played in New Jersey.
- The MNT rides a 14-match unbeaten streak (9-0-5) into Friday night’s game. The run is the second-longest in team history behind only a 16-game undefeated streak (11-0-5) achieved during Arena’s first tenure in 2004 and 2005.
- The 14-game unbeaten under Arena is also the longest to start a U.S. MNT head coaching tenure.