USWNT vs. Brazil – 2023 SheBelieves Cup, presented by Visa
Date: February 22, 2023
Venue: Toyota Stadium; Frisco, Texas
Broadcast: TNT, HBO Max, Universo and Peacock
Broadcast Time: 7:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. Local (Pre-game coverage begins at 3 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. CT on TNT and HBO Max)
Official Kickoff Time: 7:07 p.m. ET / 6:07 p.m. Local
Starting XI vs. Brazil: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (Capt.), 5-Trinity Rodman, 9-Mallory Swanson, 10-Lindsey Horan, 12-Naomi Girma, 13-Alex Morgan, 16-Rose Lavelle, 17-Andi Sullivan, 19-Crystal Dunn, 23-Emily Fox
Available Subs: 2-Ashley Sanchez, 3-Alana Cook, 6-Lynn Williams, 7-Ashley Hatch, 8-Sofia Huerta, 11-Midge Purce, 14-Emily Sonnett, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 18-Casey Murphy, 20-Taylor Kornieck, 21-Adrianna Franch, 22-Kristie Mewis
- USWNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (Including this match): Sauerbrunn (214), Morgan (204), Dunn (130), Horan (126), Naeher (89), Lavelle (87), Swanson (87), Sullivan (42), Fox (27), Rodman (15), Girma (14)
- This Starting XI averages 93 caps per player with two players in today’s Starting XI – Sauerbrunn, and Morgan – with over 200 caps and two more – Dunn and Horan – with over 100 caps. Girma and Rodman are the only players in this starting lineup with fewer than 20 caps.
- Wednesday’s Starting XI features six different players from the lineup that started on Sunday against Japan: Naeher in goal for Murphy, Sauerbrunn and Dunn on defense for Cook and Huerta, Sullivan and Lavelle in the midfield for Mewis and Sanchez, and Rodman in the attack for Williams.
- The lineup to face Brazil features just two different players from the XI that opened the 2023 SheBelieves Cup against Canada - Girma for Cook on defense and Lavelle for Sanchez in the midfield.
- This will be the first action of the 2023 SheBelieves Cup for Lavelle, who missed the first two matches with a minor injury. With Lavelle’s inclusion in this lineup, all 20 field players on the roster will have seen the field for the USA this tournament.
- Six players in today’s starting XI – Naeher, Sauerbrunn, Dunn, Lavelle, Horan and Morgan – started the most recent meeting against Brazil at the 2021 SheBelieves Cup. Lindsey Horan assisted both USA goals in the 2-0 win with Christen Press opening the scoring in the first half and Megan Rapinoe, who is available off the bench today, providing a late insurance tally.
- Morgan, Horan, Swanson and Fox will be making their third start of the tournament, the only USA players to start every game at the 2023 SheBelieves Cup. Fox has played all 180 minutes at the 2023, the only U.S. player and one of only nine field players overall to do so through the first two match days of the tournament.
- Becky Sauerbrunn will captain the USA for the 40th time as she makes 214th international appearance and her third start of 2023. Sauerbrunn enters today’s match having played more minutes than any other player in SheBelieves Cup history with 1,312 minutes of action and has appeared in every edition of the tournament except for 2018 which she missed due to injury.
- Alyssa Naeher will make her second start of the 2023 SheBelieves Cup after recording her shutout in the opener against Canada. Naeher, who holds the SheBelieves Cup record with nine clean sheets in her career in the competition, is set to earn her 89th cap and enters the match with 52 career shutouts.
- Trinity Rodman will earn her 15th cap as she makes her fifth career start and second at the 2023 SheBelieves Cup. At 20 years old, Rodman is the youngest player on this USA roster but leads the team with three assists in 2023, two of which came in the USA’s year-opening match against New Zealand.
- Mallory Swanson has scored all three of the USA’s goals at the 2023 SheBelieves Cup and enters this game against Japan on a five-game scoring streak, the longest of her international career and the longest by any USWNT player since Christen Press had a six-game scoring streak from November 2019 to February 2020. Swanson is set to earn her 87th career cap and will be making her fifth start of 2023, the only player to start every game for the USA this year. Swanson leads the USA with six goals in 2023 and is tied with Megan Rapinoe atop the all-time SheBelieves Cup scoring charts with seven career SBC goals, six of which have come in the last two years.
- Lindsey Horan will make her fourth start of the year and is set to earn her 126th cap for the USA. Horan, who has played all but seven minutes of the USA at the 2023 SheBelieves Cup, has five career assists in four previous meetings against Brazil, two of which came during the 2021 SBC meeting between the teams.
- Naomi Girma will make her second consecutive start and the 12th of her young career as she earns her 14th cap overall for the USA. Girma, who put in an impressive 90-minute performance in her SheBelieves Cup debut vs. Japan on Sunday, will have now started eight of the USA’s last 10 games and has played the full 90 minutes in eight career games.
- Alex Morgan will earn her 204th cap as she makes her third start of the 2023 SheBelieves Cup and her fourth appearance for the USA this year. Morgan has scored or assisted in each of her previous three appearances for the USA, scoring in the USA’s year-opening win over New Zealand on Jan. 18 and assisting Swanson’s opening goal on Feb. 16 against Canada and again on Feb. 19 against Japan. With her assist against Japan, Morgan now has 49 career assists, moving into a tie with Carin Jennings Gabarra for 10th on the USWNT’s all-time assist charts.
- Rose Lavelle will make her first appearance of the 2023 SheBelieves Cup as she earns her 87th cap and makes her third start of the year. Lavelle started each of the USA’s January Camp games in New Zealand and scored twice and tallied one assist in the Jan. 21 win over the Football Ferns in Auckland. Despite missing each of the last two games with a minor injury, Lavelle still ranks second on the team with four total goal involvements this year with two goals and two assists.
- Midfielder Andi Sullivan will earn her 41st cap as she makes the 33rd start of her international career and her third of 2023. Sullivan, who made her USWNT debut in 2016, finished third on the team with 1,126 total minutes played in 2022 – a career best.
- Crystal Dunn will earn her 130th cap as she makes her fourth start of the year. Dunn started the USA’s first three matches of the year before getting a well-deserved rest on Feb. 19 against Japan.
- The only player to play every minute for the USA at the 2023 SheBelieves Cup, Emily Fox will earn her 27th cap as she makes her fourth start of 2023. Entering today’s game in Frisco, Fox has played in 22 of the USA’s 26 matches since the October 2021 FIFA window, making 21 starts during that span. She is currently tied with Alana Cook and Mallory Swanson for the most total minutes played in 2023 with 315 minutes of play.