USA vs. Brazil
Sept. 7, 2018
MetLife Stadium; East Rutherford, N.J.
Live Broadcast: 7:30 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision and UDN
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Brazil: 1-Zack Steffen; 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Matt Miazga, 6-John Brooks, 17-Antonee Robinson; 20-Wil Trapp (capt.); 14-Paul Arriola, 4-Tyler Adams, 8-Weston McKennie, 16-Julian Green; 7-Bobby Wood
Substitutes: 22-Alex Bono, 5-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 10-Cristian Roldan, 11-Tim Weah, 15-Eric Lichaj, 21-Tim Parker, 23-Kellyn Acosta, 25-Marky Delgado
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): DeAndre Yedlin (53), Bobby Wood (40), John Brooks (34), Paul Arriola (17), Julian Green (11), Matt Miazga (8), Wil Trapp (7), Tyler Adams (6), Weston McKennie (5), Zack Steffen (4), Antonee Robinson (3)
- Nine of the 11 starters appeared in the MNT’s last match, a 1-1 draw with France on June 9, 2018, with only Paul Arriola and John Brooks absent.
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this match): 17.1 caps
- Tonight’s Starting XI has an average age of 23 years 117 days. The MNT lineup has averaged under 24 years old in each of its last five matches.
- All 11 players are 25 years or younger: Brooks, Wood, Trapp, Yedlin (25); Arriola, Green, Miazga, Steffen (23); Robinson (21); McKennie (20); Adams (19)
- Making his seventh MNT appearance, Wil Trapp captains the side for the fifth time tonight. Trapp has worn the armband in every U.S. match this year except for the 3-0 win against Bolivia on May 28.
- Seven of the starting XI are products of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy: Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Paul Arriola (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Zack Steffen (FC DELCO), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
- Brooks makes his first MNT appearance since playing the first half of the USA’s 1-1 draw with Portugal on Nov. 14, 2017.
- Tonight’s match also marks the second time Brooks will pair with Matt Miazga in central defense, with the first coming in the friendly last November.
- The senior-most players in the lineup, Bobby Wood and DeAndre Yedlin both played in the MNT’s last meeting with Brazil on Sept. 8, 2015 in Foxborough, Mass.
- Adams and Trapp make their team-leading fifth appearances of 2018.
- Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie and Wil Trapp form the core of the MNT central midfield for the third-straight match.
- The MNT starting XI represents clubs in six different countries: Germany and USA (four each), England (2) and France (1).
- With teams allowed to dress 20 players and make six substitutions, goalkeeper Ethan Horvath, defenders Aaron Long and Shaq Moore and forward Andrija Novakovich are healthy scratches from the matchday squad.
- The USA has a 1-17-0 all-time mark against Brazil. The MNT’s lone victory came in a 1-0 win in the Concacaf Gold Cup Semifinals on Feb. 10, 1998 in Los Angeles.
- Tonight marks the MNT’s third match at MetLife Stadium. The MNT previously fell to Brazil 2-0 on Aug. 10, 2010 and drew Argentina 1-1 on March 26, 2011.
- On Wednesday, the U.S. Men’s National Team met with members of the NYPD and FDNY Soccer Teams at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, exchanging jerseys and touring the museum.