England vs. USA Lineup Notes
Nov. 15, 2018
Wembley Stadium; London, England
Live Broadcast: 3 p.m. ET on ESPN2 and UniMas
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. England: 1-Brad Guzan; 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Matt Miazga, 6-John Brooks, 19-Jorge Villafaña; 8-Weston McKennie, 20-Wil Trapp (capt.); 10-Christian Pulisic, 16-Julian Green, 11-Tim Weah; 7-Bobby Wood
Substitutes: 12-Ethan Horvath, 3-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 4-Tyler Adams, 9-Marky Delgado, 14-Sebastian Lletget, 15-Kenny Saief, 18-Shaq Moore, 23-Kellyn Acosta, 25-Reggie Cannon
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Brad Guzan (60), DeAndre Yedlin (57), Bobby Wood (44), John Brooks (36), Christian Pulisic (22), Jorge Villafaña (20), Julian Green (15) Matt Miazga (11), Wil Trapp (10), Tim Weah (8), Weston McKennie (7)
- Bobby Wood gets the start on his 26th birthday. Should he score tonight, he would follow current MNT General Manager Earnie Stewart to become the second player in the modern era to score on his birthday. Stewart tallied on his 32nd in the USA’s 2-1 win at Honduras in World Cup Qualifying on March 28, 2001.
- Tonight’s match marks Christian Pulisic’s second appearance of 2018 and first in an MNT uniform against a European opponent.
- The Starting XI averages 24 years, 278 days and 26 caps.
- Should he score in tonight’s game, Pulisic would become the fastest MNT player to 10 goals in terms of caps (22) and age (20 years, 58 days). Clint Mathis (23 caps) and Jozy Altidore (20 years, 337 days) are the current record-holders.
- A 10-year veteran of the English League setup with Aston Villa and Middlesbrough, Brad Guzan gets the start in goal.
- A consistent starter for Premier League side Newcastle United, DeAndre Yedlin is the lone English-based player in the USA starting XI.
- Wil Trapp captains the side for the eighth time tonight. His eight appearances place him in a tie with fellow starters Tim Weah and Bobby Wood for the team lead in 2018.
- Tonight’s match marks the first time the back four of DeAndre Yedlin, Matt Miazga, John Brooks and Jorge Villafaña have played together.
- The four-man midfield features Weston McKennie and Wil Trapp partnered, with Christian Pulisic, Julian Green and Tim Weah lined up in front of them from right to left.
- Bobby Wood starts up top. In June’s match at Ireland, Wood became just the sixth MNT player in the modern era to record three goals on European soil.
- The MNT holds a 2-7-1 all-time record against England and is 0-2-0 against the Three Lions on English soil.
- The USA holds is 0-4-0 all-time in England. Jozy Altidore is the lone MNT goal scorer, with his marker coming via the penalty spot in the team’s 2-1 defeat to Colombia on Nov. 14, 2014 at Craven Cottage in London.
- With the MNT dressing 20 players, Luca de la Torre, Romain Gall, Jonathan Klinsmann, Aaron Long, Josh Sargent and Walker Zimmerman, are scratches from tonight’s match. Teams are allowed to make six substitutions.