FRISCO, Texas (July, 7 2015) – The U.S. Men’s National Team began its quest to defend its Gold Cup title with a 2-1 win against Honduras in front of a sell-out crowd of 22,357 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. In his 16th Gold Cup appearance Clint Dempsey notched a double and Michael Bradley, on the night of his 100th MNT cap, tallied an assist to lead the MNT to victory.
Demspey headed in the USA’s first score off a rebound in the 25th minute and again found the net by rising above the defense to head in a Bradley free kick in the 64th minute. The Texas-native has scored at least one goal in four different editions of the tournament and his seven career Gold Cup tallies put him in fourth place on the MNT’s all-time list.
In his first Gold Cup start, goalkeeper Brad Guzan picked up the win, which was his fourth in as many games in 2015.
The MNT is an unbeaten 13-0-0 in Gold Cup openers and improved its record against Honduras to 6-0-1 in Gold Cup play.
In Group A’s other game, Haiti and Panama tied 1-1, a combination of results that sees the U.S. sit atop the group. The tournament continues for the MNT on Friday, July 10, with a match against Haiti at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The game will be broadcast live FOX Sports 1, UniMas and UDN. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter @ussoccer and @ussoccer_esp.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Clint Dempsey 25th minute: DeAndre Yedlin tapped over to Michael Bradley, who sent in a short corner. Jozy Altidore jumped and tried to flick on, but the ball passed through into the center of the box. There it rebounded off the defense and back to a recovering Altidore, who fired a shot at goal. The ball again deflected out in front where Clint Dempsey was in prime position to head the ball into the back of the net for the game’s first goal. USA 1, HON 0 (SEE GOAL)
USA – Clint Dempsey (Michael Bradley) 64th minute: From a free kick on the left, Michael Bradley bent in a beautiful ball that Clint Dempsey rose to and headed in for his second goal of the game. USA 2, HON 0 (SEE GOAL)
HON – Carlos Discua (Crisanto), 70th minute: Crisanto split two defenders with a ball that rolled to Carlos Discua who jetted towards the box from the right. Discua took a good touch to get past U.S. defender Ventura Alvarado and slammed a shot past Guzan into the upper right corner from eight yards out. USA 2, HON 1 (FINAL)
Key Saves and Defensive Stops:
USA – Brad Guzan, (save) 3rd minute: Anthony Lozano broke through on the right side and burst past the defense into the box. As the U.S. caught up and pressured from behind, Honduras broke through on the right and fired a shot that Guzan dove and pawed away with his right hand.
USA – Brad Guzan, (save) 6th minute: Honduras pressured quickly on a counter attack down the left side. Bryan Acosta elected to let a shot fly from 25 yards out and hit it well, but Guzan was there, jumping and punching it over the crossbar.
HON – Donis Escober, (save) 78th minute: From a free-kick on the right Michael Bradley curved a dipping shot a goal that short-hopped in front of Escober, who slid and smothered the ball for the save.
Next on the Schedule: The U.S. MNT continues play in the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup when it takes on Haiti on July 10 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. ET.
Broadcast information: FOX Sports 1, UniMas, UDN
Social: Twitter (@ussoccer; @ussoccer_esp); Facebook; Instagram
- Midfielder Michael Bradley became the fourth youngest MNT player to reach 100 caps.
- Eight MNT players made their Gold Cup debuts: Brad Guzan, Timmy Chandler, Ventura Alvarado, John Brooks, Fabian Johnson, DeAndre Yedlin, Gyasi Zardes and Graham Zusi.
- Clint Dempsey made his 16th Gold Cup appearance tonight, the most on the team. Michael Bradley and Kyle Beckerman are tied for second with 12 Gold Cup caps each.
- Dempsey scored his sixth and seventh career Gold Cup goals, giving him sole possession of fourth place on the U.S. MNT’s all-time Gold Cup scoring list. Dempsey has now scored at least one goal in four editions of the tournament. (2005, 2007, 2011, 2015) His first Gold Cup game goal came exactly 10 years ago.
- Dempsey has now scored in each of the last two MNT matches and has increased his career total to 43 international goals.
- The sell-out crowd of 22,357 was the largest to ever view an international soccer match in Toyota Stadium.
- The MNT is 13-0-0 all-time in CONCACAF Gold Cup openers.
- With his start, Ventura Alvarado is now officially cap tied to the USA.
- The USMNT is 11-2-8 in Texas and with tonight’s win, extended its unbeaten streak in the Lone Star State to 19 games.
- The USA is 6-0-1 all-time against Honduras in CONCACAF Gold Cup play.
- This was the sixth matchup between the teams during Jurgen Klinsmann’s tenur (4-1-1).
- The United States is 15-4-4 all-time against Honduras and is unbeaten in the last four matchups.
- The U.S. is 6-0-0 all-time in CONCACAF Gold Cup play in the Dallas metro area.
- Clint Dempsey’s last double came in the MNT’s 4-3 win against Germany in the Centennial match played in Washington D.C. in 2013.
- U.S. Men’s National Team Match Report -
Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Honduras
Date: July 7, 2015
Competition: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup; Group A
Venue: Toyota Stadium; Frisco, Texas
Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. CT
Attendance: 22,357 (sellout)
Weather: 83 degrees; Mostly cloudy
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 1 2
HON 0 1 1
USA – Clint Dempsey 25th minute
USA – Clint Dempsey (Michael Bradley) 64
HON – Carlos Discua (Wilmer Crisanto) 69
USA: 1-Brad Guzan; 21-Timmy Chandler (16-Brad Evans, 62), 13-Ventura Alvarado, 6-John Brooks, 23-Fabian Johnson; 5-Kyle Beckerman, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 20-Gyasi Zardes (19-Graham Zusi, 87), 4-Michael Bradley (capt.); 8-Clint Dempsey, 17-Jozy Altidore (18-Chris Wondolowski, 59)
Subs Not Used: 12-Nick Rimando, 22-William Yarbrough; 3-Omar Gonzalez, 14-Greg Garza, 15-Tim Ream; 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 7-Alfredo Morales, 10-Mix Diskerud, 9-Aron Johannsson
Head Coach: Jurgen Klinsmann
HON: 22-Donis Escober; 2-Wilmer Crisanto, 3-Maynor Figueroa (capt.) , 23-Johnny Palacios, 5-Henry Figueroa (13-Eddie Hernandez, 75), 21-Brayan Beckeles; 10-Mario Martínez (7-Carlos Discua, 69), 6-Bryan Acosta, 19-Alfredo Mejía, 17-Andy Najar (11-Romell Quioto, 62); 9-Antony Lozano
Subs Not Used: 1-Luis Lopez, 18-Orlín Vallecillo, 4-Luis Garrido, 8-Rubilio Castillo, 12-Bryan Garcia, 14-Oscar Boniek Garcia, 15-Erick Andino, 16-Johnny Leveron, 20-Jorge Claros
Head coach: Jorge Luis Pinto
Stats Summary: USA / HON
Shots: 5 / 9
Shots on Goal: 5 / 3
Saves: 2 / 3
Corner Kicks: 2 / 7
Fouls: 9 / 16
Offside: 2 / 2
USA – John Brooks (caution) 16th minute
HON – Johnny Palacios (caution) 86
Referee: Cesar Ramos (MEX)
Assistant Referee 1: Alberto Morin (MEX)
Assistant Referee 2: Garnet Page (JAM)
4th Official: Roberto Garcia (MEX)