USA vs. Ecuador
March 21, 2019
Orlando City Stadium; Orlando, Fla.
Live Broadcast: 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMas and UDN
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Ecuador: 1-Sean Johnson, 5-John Brooks, 6-Wil Trapp, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 10-Christian Pulisic, 11-Jordan Morris, 13-Tim Ream (capt.), 14-Tyler Adams, 23-Aaron Long
Substitutes: 22-Ethan Horvath, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 4-Michael Bradley, 15-Cristian Roldan, 16-Daniel Lovitz, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 18-Jonathan Lewis, 19-Matt Miazga, 20-Corey Baird
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Gyasi Zardes (43), John Brooks (37), Tim Ream (27), Jordan Morris (26), Christian Pulisic (24), Paul Arriola (20), Wil Trapp (14), Tyler Adams (10), Weston McKennie (8), Sean Johnson (7), Aaron Long (5)
- Christian Pulisic and Paul Arriola featured in the USA’s only previous visit to Orlando City Stadium, a 4-0 World Cup Qualifying win against Panama on Oct. 6, 2017. Pulisic scored the first goal and provided an assist to Jozy Altidore on the second, before Arriola dished a helper of his own to Bobby Wood to close the scoring in the 63rd minute.
- Today’s Starting XI has an average age of 25 years, 268 days and 20 caps.
- Six players earn their first caps of 2019: Tyler Adams, John Brooks, Weston McKennie, Jordan Morris, Christian Pulisic and Tim Ream
- Four players return from the starting lineup that defeated Costa Rica 2-0 on Feb. 2 in San Jose, Calif.: Paul Arriola, Aaron Long, Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes
- Making his 27th appearance, veteran defender Tim Ream captains the MNT for the first time tonight.
- Forward Jordan Morris makes his first MNT appearance since recovering from a torn right ACL suffered with Seattle Sounders FC last February. The 24-year-old last played for the USA in a 0-0 draw with Bosnia and Herzegovina on Jan. 28, 2018 in Carson, Calif.
- A product of the nearby University of Central Florida, goalkeeper Sean Johnson makes his third career start and first since a 1-0 win against Costa Rica during the Gold Cup group stage on July 13, 2013 in East Hartford, Conn.
- Having come through U.S. Soccer’s U-17 MNT Residency Program together, tonight marks the first time the 20-year-old trio of Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie and Christian Pulisic will start an MNT match together.
- Gyasi Zardes scored the game-winning goal, while John Brooks when the full 90 minutes in the USA’s last meeting with Ecuador, a 2-1 win in the Copa America Centenario quarterfinal on June 16, 2016 in Seattle, Wash.
- Panama’s coach that night was Hernan Dario Gomez, currently the manager of Ecuador.
- Six players in the Starting XI play for MLS clubs: Arriola (D.C. United), Johnson (New York City FC), Long (New York Red Bulls), Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Trapp and Zardes (Columbus Crew SC)
- Five starters feature for clubs abroad: Adams (RB Leipzig), Brooks (Wolfsburg), McKennie (Schalke), Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) and Ream (Fulham).
- With the MNT dressing 20 players, Omar Gonzalez, Jesse Gonzalez, Nick Lima and Christian Ramirez are healthy scratches from the gameday roster. Teams are allowed six substitutions tonight.
- The USA trails Ecuador in the all-time series by a 4-5-5 mark.
- With a victory tonight, Gregg Berhalter would follow Bob Bradley (2007) as just the second MNT head coach to win each of his first three matches.