USMNT vs. Canada
2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinal
July 9, 2023
TQL Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio
Pre-Game Coverage: 7 p.m. ET on FS1; 7:30 p.m. ET on Univision, TUDN
Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN, Fútbol de Primera Radio
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; U.S. Soccer on Facebook, The U.S. Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Canada: 1-Matt Turner (capt.), 5-Bryan Reynolds, 6-Gianluca Busio, 8-James Sands, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Djordje Mihailovic, 15-DeJuan Jones, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Jalen Neal, 22-Julian Gressel
Substitutes: 18-Sean Johnson, 23-Gaga Slonina, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Aaron Long, 4-Matt Miazga, 10-Cristian Roldan, 11-Cade Cowell, 13-Jordan Morris, 19-Brandon Vazquez, 21-John Tolkin, 24-Jackson Yueill
Not Dressed: 16-Aidan Morris
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Matt Turner (31), Miles Robinson (24), Jesús Ferreira (22), Gianluca Busio (12), James Sands (12), Djordje Mihailovic (10), Alex Zendejas (7), Jalen Neal (6), Bryan Reynolds (6), Julian Gressel (5), DeJuan Jones (5)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Gold Cup Cap Numbers (including this match): James Sands (10), Gianluca Busio (9), Matt Turner (9), Miles Robinson (8), Djordje Mihailovic (6), Jesús Ferreira (4), Jalen Neal (4), Alex Zendejas (4), Julian Gressel (3), DeJuan Jones (3), Bryan Reynolds (3)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in Official Competition (including this match): Matt Turner (26), Miles Robinson (21), Jesús Ferreira 13), Gianluca Busio (12), James Sands (11), Djordje Mihailovic (6), Alexi Zendejas (6), Jalen Neal (4), Bryan Reynolds (4), Julian Gressel (3), DeJuan Jones (3)
- With an average age of 24 years, 187 days, tonight’s lineup is the sixth youngest the USMNT has put out in a knockout round match. All five of the lineups that were younger were utilized since June 2021.
|June 3, 2021||23 years, 215 days||1-0 W vs. Honduras||Nations League Semifinal|
|July 25, 2021||23 years, 280 days||1-0 W vs. Jamaica||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
|July 29, 2021||23 years, 284 days||1-0 W Qatar||Gold Cup Semifinal|
|June 18, 2023||23 years, 314 days||2-0 W vs. Canada||Nations League Final|
|June 15, 2023||23 years, 327 days||3-0 W vs. Mexico||Nations League Semifinal|
|July 9, 2023||24 years, 187 days||vs. Canada||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
- USMNT head coach B.J. Callaghan makes one change from the lineup that faced Trinidad and Tobago last Sunday, inserting Julian Gressel for Cristian Roldan.
- Six players will make their debut in a knockout round match: Julian Gressel, DeJuan Jones, Djordje Mihailovic, Jalen Neal, Bryan Reynolds and Alex Zendejas. Those six along with Jesús Ferreira also make their first appearances against Canada.
- The lineup also averages 12 caps and nine in official competition
- James Sands becomes the 11th USMNT player to appear in 10 consecutive Gold Cup matches. A substitute in his Gold Cup debut against Haiti on July 11, 2021, Sands has started each of his last nine Gold Cup appearances.
Consecutive Gold Cup Caps/
Most Consecutive Starts
|Landon Donovan||22 / 10||2002-2007|
|Eric Wynalda||21 / 21||1991-2000|
|Cobi Jones||18 / 12||1993-2002|
|Landon Donovan||12 / 7||2011-2013|
|Gyasi Zardes||12 / 2||2019-2021|
|Frankie Hejduk||11 / 11||2002-2005|
|Chris Henderson||10 / 10||1991-1993|
|Kasey Keller||10 / 10||2002-2003|
|Tony Meola||10 / 10||1991-1993|
|Clarence Goodson||10 / 9||2009-2013|
|James Sands||10 / 9||2021-2023|
- At 19 years, 319 days, Jalen Neal becomes the youngest center back to appear for the USMNT in a knockout round match. He beats out Steve Pecher, who started in central defense for the USA in a World Cup qualifying playoff with Canada on Dec. 22, 1976 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- Captaining the team for the third time tonight, goalkeeper Matt Turner starts his seventh knockout round match. The 29-year-old is 5-1-0 in knockout round contests, recording five clean sheets along the way. One of those shutouts includes the 2-0 win against Canada in last month’s Concacaf Nations League Final in Las Vegas.
- Julian Gressel earns his first start in official competition and second start overall. Gressel also started his debut on Jan. 25, 2023 against Serbia.
- Seven of the 10 outfield starters have registered at least one goal contribution during the first three matches of the tournament: Jesús Ferreira (6 goals), Djordje Mihailovic (2 goals, 2 assists), Gianluca Busio (1 goal, 2 assists), Bryan Reynolds (1 goal), DeJuan Jones (1 assist), Alex Zendejas (1 assist), Julian Gressel (1 assist).
- Five substitutions are allowed in three different moments during regulation. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment. Should the match be tied at the end of 90 minutes, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played and both teams will be allowed another substitution. If the teams are tied at the end of extra time, the match will be decided by penalty kicks.
- Video assistant referee will be used for all matches in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- This is the 40th all-time meeting between the USA and Canada. The USMNT holds a 17-10-12 overall advantage in the series. The team also has a 10-8-5 edge in official competition and is 4-0-1 against Canada in Gold Cup play.
- The USMNT is 29-8-5 all-time in the Gold Cup knockout round and 11-0-1 in Gold Cup quarterfinal matches.
- The USMNT has gone to shootouts six times in official competition, advancing on four occasions.
|USMNT Shootout Record in Official Competition|
|July 7, 1991||Honduras||0-0 D (4-3 W)||Gold Cup Final|
|July 17, 1995||Mexico||0-0 D (4-1 W)||Copa America Quarterfinal|
|Feb. 19, 2000||Colombia||2-2 D (1-2 L)||Gold Cup Quarterfinal|
|Jan. 30, 2002||Canada||0-0 D (4-2 W)||Gold Cup Semifinal|
|July 24, 2005||Panama||0-0 D (3-1 W)||Gold Cup Final|
|July 25, 2015||Panama||1-1 D (2-3 L)||Gold Cup Third Place Match|
- The referee for tonight’s match is Marco Ortiz of Mexico. This is the first USMNT match Mr. Ortiz has officiated.