CHICAGO (Feb. 17, 2020) – An elite panel of former U.S. Women’s National Team Olympic and World Cup veterans has selected five finalists that fans will now vote on to become the 2020 SheBelieves Hero™. The five finalists, whose embodiment of the SheBelieves Spirit and inspiring stories made them stand out are: Nicole Cash, Chastain Cassidy, Remy Sexton, Lily Sowle and Semahj Ware.
The SheBelieves Hero™ Selection Committee, comprised of Nicole Barnhart, Cindy Parlow-Cone, Heather O’Reilly, and Lindsay Tarpley Snow, narrowed down the largest field of impressive submissions in SheBelieves Hero™ contest history to present fans with the five finalists.
“It's very inspiring watching all the videos and seeing the impact so many young people are having on their communities,” said former USWNT midfielder and U.S. Soccer Athlete’s Council Co-Chair Lindsay Tarpley Snow. “Congratulations to everyone involved; continue your hard work hard, it makes a real difference!"
Now it’s time for fans to vote for the SheBelieves Hero™. Watch the videos below and vote for the finalist who most exemplifies the SheBelieves spirit. Voting is now open and the winner will be announced on Monday, Feb. 24.
2020 SheBelieves Hero™ Finalists
1. Nicole Cash - Helped found Minnesota chapter of Go Baby Go and create two elementary school robotics teams as well as host 15 community-based STEM events.
2. Chastain Cassidy - Heavily involved in church community events, including a weekly podcast. Also part of her school’s Best of Buddies Club, which encourages creating friendships with special needs students.
3. Remy Sexton - Awarded a community grant to begin a recycling program at her school. Now helps educate community members about recycling and is passing the program to younger peers.
4. Lily Sowle - Founded Lily’s League, a charity that collects soccer gear for kids in Haiti. Helped set up a website that educates people about the charity and where donations can be made.
5. Semahj Ware - Volunteers after school with Operation Breakthrough helping other children learn and grow. Cares for her two siblings by cooking the family meals after her mother passed.
The fourth annual SheBelieves Hero™ contest will select a young person between the ages of 13-17 who embodies the SheBelieves spirit. A SheBelieves Hero™ is a leader in their community, a confident and passionate individual who empowers others around them and works to make a positive difference in the world.
The winner of the 2020 SheBelieves Hero™ contest will win a trip for two (2) to the WNT’s SheBelieves Cup match in Harrison, NJ, on March 8 when the USA takes on Spain.
Conceived and developed by U.S. Soccer and the Women’s National Team players, SheBelieves is a movement created to inspire and encourage girls and women of all ages to accomplish their goals and dreams, athletic or otherwise. The campaign was originally launched in the run-up to the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup but has since evolved into a special bond between the team and its fans, taking its powerful message of empowerment and that of believing in yourself into communities across the nation.