CHICAGO (March 17, 2021) – An elite panel of former U.S. Women’s National Team Olympic and World Cup veterans has selected the five finalists that fans will now vote on to choose the 2021 SheBelieves Hero™.
The five finalists, who all embody the SheBelieves spirit and feature inspiring stories, are: Ella Bard, Astha Bernard, Prabhleen Lamba, Anna Tuuri and Makayla Wilson.
The SheBelieves Hero™ Selection Committee, comprised of Michelle Akers, Stephanie Cox, Tina Frimpong-Ellertson, Leslie Osborne and Lindsay Tarpley, narrowed down the largest field of impressive submissions in SheBelieves Hero™ contest history to present fans with the five finalists.
Now it’s time for fans to vote for the SheBelieves Hero™. Watch the videos linked above and vote for the finalist who most exemplifies the SheBelieves spirit. Voting is now open and will remain open until 5 p.m. CT on Wednesday, March 24. The winner will be announced on Friday, March 26.
2021 SHEBELIEVES HERO™ FINALISTS
1. Ella Bard – A passionate eco-warrior volunteering with community clean-up and recycling efforts, Ella also empowers others to use the power of their minds and the wisdom of their bodies through yoga and guided meditation.
2. Astha Bernard – Co-founded a youth group leading projects for Black History Month awareness and allyship, while also organizing and running free youth soccer clinics.
3. Prabhleen Lamba – An advocate for women's sports and gender equality, Prabhleen has researched and interviewed female athletes for her upcoming book, She Plays to Win, all proceeds of which will benefit the Women’s Sports Foundation and Bay Area Women in Sports Initiative.
4. Anna Tuuri – Podcast host, youth and adaptive soccer coach and referee and a founding member of her high school girls wrestling team, Anna also volunteered over 300 hours to help Cedar Rapids in the wake of a damaging storm.
5. Makayla Wilson – Committed to finding collaborative solutions to community issues, she has led a variety of grassroots programs, including providing care packages and educational materials to youth in domestic violence centers, the housing insecure and under-resourced elementary schools.
The fifth annual SheBelieves Hero™ contest began taking nominations on Jan. 11 and the process closed March 1. The contest will select a young person between the ages of 13-17 who embodies the SheBelieves spirit. A SheBelieves Hero™ is a leader in their community, a confident and passionate individual who empowers others around them and works to make a positive difference in the world.
In the four previous SheBelieves Hero contests, the winner was chosen before the annual SheBelieves Cup tournament so the winner could attend a match. This year, due to the global pandemic, the decision was made to extend the contest to provide the opportunity for more nominations and to award the winner a trip for two to a future USWNT match.
SheBelieves is a movement created to inspire and encourage girls and women of all ages to accomplish their goals and dreams, athletic or otherwise. The campaign was originally launched in the run-up to the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup but has since evolved into a special bond between the team and its fans, taking its powerful message of empowerment and that of believing in yourself into communities across the nation.