2022 Concacaf World Cup Qualifying: USA vs. Mexico - Starting XI, Lineup Notes, TV Channels & Start TimeTQL Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio Pre-Game Coverage: 8 p.m. ET on Univision, TUDN and ESPN+ Kickoff: 9:10 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, Univision and TUDN
LINEUP NOTES: USMNT vs. MEXICO
USMNT vs. Mexico, presented by Allstate
2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying – Final Round - Match No. 7
November 12, 2021
TQL Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio
Pre-Game Coverage: 8 p.m. ET on Univision, TUDN and ESPN+
Kickoff: 9:10 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, Univision and TUDN
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; U.S. Soccer on Facebook , The U.S. Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Mexico: 1-Zack Steffen, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 4-Tyler Adams (capt.), 5-Antonee Robinson, 6-Yunus Musah, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Ricardo Pepi, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 12-Miles Robinson, 20-Tim Weah
Substitutes: 13-Matt Turner, 7-Paul Arriola, 10-Christian Pulisic, 14-Cristian Roldan, 15-Chris Richards, 16-Gianluca Busio, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 18-Mark McKenzie 19-Jesús Ferreira, 21-Sam Vines, 22-Reggie Cannon, 23-Kellyn Acosta
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MEXICO | USA-MEXICO TRIVIA
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): DeAndre Yedlin (70), Weston McKennie (28), Zack Steffen (25), Tyler Adams (21), Walker Zimmerman (21), Antonee Robinson (18), Tim Weah (17), Miles Robinson (15), Brenden Aaronson (14), Yunus Musah (10), Ricardo Pepi (5)
- USMNT Starting XI WCQ Cap Numbers (including this match): DeAndre Yedlin (16), Brenden Aaronson (7), Tyler Adams (7), Antonee Robinson (6), Miles Robinson (6), Ricardo Pepi (5), Weston McKennie (4), Yunus Musah (4), Tim Weah (4), Walker Zimmerman (4), Zack Steffen (2)
- Previous USMNT Starting XI appearances vs. Mexico: DeAndre Yedlin (7), Weston McKennie (4), Zack Steffen (4), Tyler Adams (2), Miles Robinson (2), Tim Weah (2), Antonee Robinson (1), Walker Zimmerman (1)
- The Starting XI averages 21 caps and 10 in official competition.
- Gregg Berhalter makes two changes to the Starting XI that began the 2-1 win against Costa Rica last month, inserting defenders DeAndre Yedlin and Walker Zimmerman.
- Eight players are age 24 and younger: Antonee Robinson and Miles Robinson (24); Weston McKennie (23); Tyler Adams (22); Brenden Aaronson and Tim Weah (21); Yunus Musah and Ricardo Pepi (18)
- Tyler Adams captains the USMNT for the fifth time tonight. The team is 3-0-1 in four previous matches when Adams has worn the armband.
- DeAndre Yedlin becomes the 33rd player in USMNT history to reach 70 caps. The veteran defender is the lone player in the Starting XI to have previously played in a WCQ vs. Mexico, appearing in both final round matches last cycle.
- Forwards Brenden Aaronson and Ricardo Pepi and midfielder Yunus Musah will make their first appearances against Mexico tonight.
- Five players appeared in June’s Concacaf Nations League Final triumph against Mexico, with Weston McKennie, Zack Steffen and DeAndre Yedlin starting the match, while Tyler Adams and Tim Weah came off the bench.
- Miles Robinson is the lone starter to have appeared in the Gold Cup Final win against El Tri in August. The 24-year-old center back scored a 117th minute game winner to help the USMNT claim its seventh confederation title.
- Eighteen-year-old Yunus Musah earns his 10th cap on the one-year anniversary of his USMNT debut, which came on Nov. 12, 2020 at Wales in Swansea.
- Musah partners in midfield with Tyler Adams and Weston McKennie for the fourth time tonight. The trio worked together in the 2-0 win vs. Jamaica and the 2-1 victory against Costa Rica last month.
- Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie and DeAndre Yedlin carry yellow cards into tonight’s match. Should any of the trio pick up another caution tonight, they will be suspended for the USA’s next match at Jamaica on Nov. 16.
- Three substitutes could make their World Cup Qualifying debuts tonight: forward Jesús Ferreira and defenders Reggie Cannon and Sam Vines
- With teams allowed to dress 23 players, goalkeeper Sean Johnson and defender Joe Scally are not in tonight’s squad. Teams are allowed five substitutions in three different moments.
- Ivan Barton of El Salvador is the referee for tonight’s match. He has previously officiated three USMNT matches – the 1-1 draw with Peru on Oct. 16, 2018, the 4-0 win against Guyana in the Gold Cup Group Stage on June 18, 2019, and 3-1 win against Jamaica in the Gold Cup Semifinal on July 3, 2019.
- The USMNT is 21-36-15 all-time against Mexico and 6-16-7 in World Cup Qualifying. The teams are an even 4-4-4 in qualifiers since the 1998 cycle.