MAKING THE CASE: Lindsey Horan for BioSteel U.S. Soccer Female Player of the YearHoran Earns Second Consecutive Player of the Year Nomination
Midfielder Lindsey Horan had another consistently impactful and productive year for club and for country to earn her second consecutive nomination for BioSteel U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year.
While nominees are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff, fans will now have the opportunity to vote on select Player of the Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Voting for the awards starts Monday, Dec. 6 at 11:00 a.m. ET and closes on Dec. 12 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winners will be announced throughout the month of December.
- VOTE NOW: Fan Voting for Player of the Year Awards
Before voting, let’s take a look at Horan’s accomplishments over the calendar year:
- The 27-year-old Horan led the USA in minutes played in 2021, totalling 1,707 while starting in 18 of her 22 games this year. Horan’s 18 starts were also a team-high in 2021.
- Horan finished the year tied for fourth in goals (6) and tied for second in assists (5). Along with fellow Player of the Year nominee Megan Rapinoe, Horan also finished the year tied for the team lead in total chances created (43), 20 more than any other USWNT player in 2021.
- Horan finished the year with 38 key passes, good for second on the team.
- With Julie Ertz injured, Horan played defensive midfielder leading into the Olympics. At the Olympics, Horan played in all six games, starting five, and was third on the team in minutes played with 499. Horan scored one goal in the OIympics, that coming in her 100th cap during the group play victory against New Zealand.
- On Nov. 27, Horan captained the USA for the second time – the first was during her 100th cap celebration match on Oct. 21 – and nailed a critical penalty kick in the 68th minute to clinch the match. It was her 25th career goal, making her the 24th player in USWNT history with 25 or more goals.
- Horan had another strong season for the Portland Thorns, helping the club capture the 2021 NWSL Shield and once again establishing herself as one of the top two-way midfielders in the league. Horan scored twice in 14 regular season appearances and tied for the team led with three assists on the year.
- Horan was the only member of the USWNT’s 2020 Olympic roster to earn a spot on the NWSL Best XI Teams, as she was a selected to the 2021 Best XI Second Team.
This is Horan’s second consecutive nomination for Female Player of the Year and her fourth overall. Horan was also a finalist for Female Player of the year in 2017, 2018 and 2020 and was selected as the U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year in 2013.